



1
00:00:02.870 --> 00:00:08.030
<i>[Reply 1988]</i>
2
00:00:12.750 --> 00:00:13.910
<i>[Reply 1988]</i>
3
00:00:20.120 --> 00:00:23.240
<i>[Reply 1988]</i>
4
00:00:23.740 --> 00:00:26.110
<i> 1988 ... </i>
5
00:00:30.690 --> 00:00:34.240
<i>It was still cold as ever, but our hearts were hot. </i>
6
00:00:34.240 --> 00:00:39.380
<i>People didn't own a lot, but a time existed when at least their hearts remained warm. </i>
7
00:00:39.380 --> 00:00:44.580
<i>Of course, if we compared things to now, it would be no better than Paleolithic times.</i>
8
00:00:44.580 --> 00:00:47.580
<i>Clearly it was the time of analog, </i>
9
00:00:47.580 --> 00:00:53.140
<i>but still, our 18-year-old youth was spent living as state-of-the-art. </i>
10
00:00:53.140 --> 00:00:57.270
<i>For the first time in history, we wore the slip-on sneakers, </i>
11
00:00:57.270 --> 00:01:03.500
<i>and we obviously wore way too much denim while listening to Shin Hae Cheol's songs on our Walkmans. </i>
12
00:01:10.290 --> 00:01:17.330
<i>Guys would go crazy over Jaime Sommers and Joey Wong. And even Sophie Marceau and Professor Jimena. </i>
13
00:01:17.330 --> 00:01:24.520
<i>And girls would go crazy over Oppas Pierce Brosnan, Tom Cruise, Richard Gere and also New Kids on the Block.</i>
14
00:01:25.830 --> 00:01:34.540
<i>But without gender distinction, there was one movie which both boys and girls liked best. </i>
15
00:01:34.540 --> 00:01:37.170
<i>It was...</i>
16
00:01:37.170 --> 00:01:40.860
<i>A Better Tomorrow 2</i>
17
00:01:43.110 --> 00:01:46.840
♫ <i> Without tears nor words, </i> ♫
18
00:01:46.840 --> 00:01:50.920
<i>My daughter is so pretty. Her eyes look a lot like mine. </i>
♫ <i> fresh blood pours from my heart,</i> ♫
19
00:01:50.920 --> 00:01:53.900
<i>You'll know once you see her. </i>
♫ <i> not letting you know. </i> ♫
20
00:01:53.900 --> 00:01:59.070
♫ <i> I single-heartedly speed towards the future days. </i> ♫
21
00:01:59.070 --> 00:02:01.120
<i>Bye.</i>
♫ <i> I will accompany you to search for good stories. </i> ♫
22
00:02:01.120 --> 00:02:09.530
<i>September 1988
Ssangmun-dong, Dobong-gu, Seoul</i>
♫ <i> I will accompany you to search for good stories. </i>
23
00:02:09.530 --> 00:02:15.850
♫ <i> Don't ask me about my sad experiences. </i> ♫
24
00:02:15.850 --> 00:02:21.340
♫ <i> Don't need to think, it's no longer the past. </i> ♫
25
00:02:21.340 --> 00:02:27.570
♫ <i> Sometimes, some of the time, it's inevitable. </i> ♫
26
00:02:27.570 --> 00:02:33.720
♫ <i> What happened in between remains unknown. </i> ♫
27
00:02:33.720 --> 00:02:37.900
♫ <i> Remains unknown. </i> ♫
28
00:02:37.900 --> 00:02:41.400
<i>You haven't even named the baby yet.</i>
29
00:02:43.020 --> 00:02:44.820
<i>They want</i>
30
00:02:46.000 --> 00:02:49.400
<i>us to name her</i>
31
00:02:53.000 --> 00:02:54.480
<i>Sung Ho Yin.</i>
32
00:02:59.420 --> 00:03:00.980
Sorry.
33
00:03:00.980 --> 00:03:08.030
<i>His name is Ryu Dong Ryong. He might look nerdy but in his own way he's our block counselor. </i>
34
00:03:08.030 --> 00:03:11.450
You bastard, can't you eat later?
35
00:03:11.450 --> 00:03:18.890
<i>Our upstairs neighbor, Kim Jeong Hwan. He's still a dog, not a person yet. </i>
36
00:03:23.820 --> 00:03:27.590
<i>[Taek] The owner of this room and who plays Baduk (Go) well.</i>
37
00:03:27.590 --> 00:03:31.940
<i>But, what's the use here. He's a complete idiot here. </i>
38
00:03:31.940 --> 00:03:34.010
Go and get me a rag.
39
00:03:36.450 --> 00:03:39.970
Get me some leftover steamed cake from the kitchen. Oh, milk, too!
40
00:03:39.970 --> 00:03:43.960
Go get it! He hasn't been home for a while.
41
00:03:43.960 --> 00:03:49.860
<i>This is Seon Woo. He is the normal guy of our neighborhood. </i>
42
00:03:50.980 --> 00:03:53.960
I didn't hear what they said!
43
00:03:53.960 --> 00:03:57.640
- Why are you mad at me?
- Dunno!! It's your fault...
44
00:03:57.640 --> 00:04:03.310
<i>Um. She is me.
[Seong Deok Seon, 27 years ago version] </i>
45
00:04:03.310 --> 00:04:06.730
<i>My bangs were so wavy you could surf on them. </i>
46
00:04:06.730 --> 00:04:15.300
<i>I had short hair that gave King Tut a run for his money, and wore a shirt that wasn't pink, but flashy fuchsia.</i>
47
00:04:15.300 --> 00:04:18.030
<i>Back then it really was the best I could do.</i>
48
00:04:18.030 --> 00:04:20.520
Ah! What's the baby's name?!
49
00:04:20.520 --> 00:04:25.230
- I couldn't hear either!
- It's Sung Ho Yin.
- How'd you know?
50
00:04:25.230 --> 00:04:27.070
There are subtitles.
51
00:04:34.200 --> 00:04:37.790
Kim Jeong Hwan, let's have dinner!
52
00:04:39.210 --> 00:04:43.350
Kim Jeong Hwan, I said let's eat!
53
00:04:44.440 --> 00:04:49.780
<i> (BGM: Byeon Jin Seop - Like the Birds)</i>
54
00:04:49.780 --> 00:04:54.840
Kim Jeong Hwan, I said to come and eat!
♫<i> I see the cars passing by</i>♫
55
00:04:54.840 --> 00:05:01.570
♫<i> in an open space. The people are glowing, </i>♫
56
00:05:01.570 --> 00:05:04.800
Seon Woo, let's eat!
♫<i> Under the sunlight. </i>♫
57
00:05:06.180 --> 00:05:12.500
Deok Seon, come and have dinner!
♫<i> The asphalt</i> ♫
58
00:05:15.250 --> 00:05:17.200
I'm leaving.
♫<i> peeking through the white smoke </i> ♫
59
00:05:17.200 --> 00:05:19.260
I'm leaving too.
60
00:05:19.260 --> 00:05:21.590
I'm leaving.
61
00:05:21.600 --> 00:05:23.200
Give me that.
62
00:05:23.200 --> 00:05:28.700
♫<i> I want to leave, too</i> ♫
63
00:05:28.760 --> 00:05:32.390
Son, let's eat.
♫<i> but I have nowhere to go. </i>♫
64
00:05:33.290 --> 00:05:39.960
♫<i> As I look at the birds flying</i> ♫
65
00:05:39.960 --> 00:05:46.630
♫<i> I want to follow them and fly as well </i>♫
66
00:05:46.630 --> 00:05:53.220
♫<i> Freely underneath the blue sky</i> ♫
67
00:05:53.220 --> 00:05:59.880
<i> Pawnshop ad - Room for monthly rent (written old way)
♫<i> I want to follow them</i> ♫</i>
68
00:05:59.880 --> 00:06:06.890
<i> Western cigarettes available. Closed for the day. Open at 7.
♫<i> As I look at the birds flying (when I look at them)</i> ♫</i>
69
00:06:06.890 --> 00:06:12.220
<i>Our neighborhood, Dobong-gu Ssangmoon-dong block, with the Bong Hwang Jeweler, </i>
70
00:06:12.220 --> 00:06:16.850
<i>is where I was born and raised </i>
71
00:06:16.850 --> 00:06:21.360
<i>in a time where we didn't have internet or smartphones. </i>
72
00:06:21.360 --> 00:06:27.420
<i>Now that I think about it... How did I spend all my free time back then?</i>
73
00:06:27.420 --> 00:06:33.400
♫<i> As I look at the birds flying</i> ♫
74
00:06:34.570 --> 00:06:39.010
♫<i> Hand in hand we stand. </i>♫
75
00:06:39.010 --> 00:06:42.930
♫<i> All across the land </i> ♫
76
00:06:42.930 --> 00:06:47.440
<i>- Episode 1 : Hand in Hand.
♫ We can make this place a better... </i>♫
77
00:06:47.440 --> 00:06:50.970
<i>Deok Seon! Come set the table!</i>
['88 Olympics D-9]
78
00:07:36.390 --> 00:07:40.990
Looks good! It came out very well.
79
00:07:40.990 --> 00:07:45.560
Deok Seon, here's dad's rice.
80
00:07:53.880 --> 00:07:55.750
Hey! You want to die?
81
00:07:55.750 --> 00:08:00.030
<i>This is my sister, Seong Bo Ra. She's a sophomore at Seoul National University, majoring in mathematics. </i>
82
00:08:00.030 --> 00:08:05.070
<i>She has the most authority in the house and is also the neighborhood crazy. </i>
83
00:08:05.070 --> 00:08:08.340
Seong Deok Seon! You did it on purpose, didn't you? Aish!
84
00:08:09.520 --> 00:08:12.570
Sorry...
<i>This is my brother, Seong No Eul. </i>
85
00:08:12.570 --> 00:08:18.140
<i>He might look 40, but he's actually 17 (international age 16).</i>
86
00:08:20.110 --> 00:08:22.680
Hey, where are you going? We're going to eat dinner.
87
00:08:22.680 --> 00:08:25.080
I'm going to meet Dad.
88
00:08:40.440 --> 00:08:42.020
<i>Phone book</i>
89
00:08:47.230 --> 00:08:48.870
Hello?
90
00:08:49.690 --> 00:08:53.020
You said you'd come home after dinner!
91
00:08:53.020 --> 00:08:55.440
Okay, come quickly.
92
00:08:57.150 --> 00:08:59.940
Dad will be here soon, wait a bit.
93
00:09:07.450 --> 00:09:09.710
Ah, really...
94
00:09:14.580 --> 00:09:19.350
This is the gas station, right? I'm on the 'Bong Hwang Jeweler' block, the house with the blue gate.
95
00:09:19.350 --> 00:09:26.660
Yes, the one with a dog. Well, we'll get the usual.
96
00:09:27.850 --> 00:09:34.450
Jeong Hwan, go get some rice from the family downstairs! And give them this.
97
00:09:36.060 --> 00:09:37.630
Yes.
98
00:09:49.440 --> 00:09:51.800
Hey!
99
00:09:52.770 --> 00:09:55.250
- Jeong Hwan, you're here.
- Mom told me to give you these.
100
00:09:55.250 --> 00:09:58.040
Aigoo, you guys made salad?
101
00:09:58.040 --> 00:10:01.430
And Mom asks for one bowl of rice.
102
00:10:01.430 --> 00:10:03.940
Okay.
♫ <i> Like the</i> ♫
(BGM: Lee Moon Sae - Flying, Deep in the Night)
103
00:10:03.940 --> 00:10:07.020
I heard your father was coming home late today, but it seems like he's coming home early.
♫ <i> sad story of the flying fairies </i> ♫
104
00:10:07.020 --> 00:10:10.160
Here. It's done.
105
00:10:10.160 --> 00:10:13.760
Stay there for a while, Jeong Hwan. I'll give you cubed radish kimchi. Give it to your mom.
106
00:10:13.760 --> 00:10:18.000
♫ <i> Holding your beautiful hands and flying into the night sky</i> ♫
107
00:10:18.000 --> 00:10:19.180
Ahjumma gave me this.
108
00:10:19.180 --> 00:10:21.270
Aigoo. Looks tasty.
♫ <i> Can even go to the palace </i> ♫
109
00:10:21.270 --> 00:10:23.120
Wait.
110
00:10:24.730 --> 00:10:26.300
Here.
♫ <i> Loving you </i> ♫
111
00:10:30.350 --> 00:10:32.650
Ahjumma, Mom wants you to have some curry.
♫ <i> to a place where things don't come </i> ♫
112
00:10:32.650 --> 00:10:38.250
♫ <i> true, dreamland. We've lost our way and are wandering </i> ♫
113
00:10:38.300 --> 00:10:42.960
♫ <i> As for those of us who can't fly nor cry love is </i>♫
114
00:10:42.990 --> 00:10:46.150
Mom asked to give this to you.
♫ <i> Like a dream </i> ♫
115
00:10:46.150 --> 00:10:53.760
♫ <i> I'll hold your beautiful hand and fly the night skies,
we can even go to the palace, </i> ♫
116
00:10:53.760 --> 00:10:58.770
♫<i> You're still the only one I love. Flying into </i>♫
117
00:10:58.770 --> 00:11:01.740
Ahjumma! Have some of this.
♫ <i> the night sky </i> ♫
118
00:11:01.740 --> 00:11:05.760
♫ <i> Seeing you asleep </i> ♫
119
00:11:05.760 --> 00:11:10.130
Thank you!
♫ <i> I want to kiss you and fly away</i> ♫
120
00:11:10.190 --> 00:11:12.440
Ahjumma.
121
00:11:25.340 --> 00:11:32.970
♫<i> You're still the only one I love. </i>♫
122
00:11:32.970 --> 00:11:35.410
♫ <i> I'll fly the night skies, </i> ♫
123
00:11:35.410 --> 00:11:37.380
Let's eat.
124
00:11:40.110 --> 00:11:45.730
♫<i> As I keep seeing your face...</i> ♫
125
00:11:45.730 --> 00:11:47.920
Gas is here!
<i> Ssangmun Gas</i>
126
00:11:55.970 --> 00:12:03.900
♫ <i> Though we can't fly nor cry. Love is like a beautiful dream</i> ♫
127
00:12:03.900 --> 00:12:12.370
♫ <i> I'll hold your beautiful hand and fly the night skies,
we can even go to the palace. </i> ♫
128
00:12:19.950 --> 00:12:22.460
If it is going to be like this, we should just eat together.
129
00:12:30.330 --> 00:12:32.130
Deok Seon!
130
00:12:32.130 --> 00:12:33.690
Dad!
131
00:12:33.690 --> 00:12:35.140
- Hello.
- Where are you going?
132
00:12:35.140 --> 00:12:37.640
- Home.
- Go on in.
- Goodbye.
133
00:12:37.640 --> 00:12:39.580
My daughter.
134
00:12:40.790 --> 00:12:44.430
What are you doing with this?
135
00:12:44.430 --> 00:12:45.700
What's that? Is that pork?
136
00:12:45.700 --> 00:12:51.220
- Did you buy a lot?
- I bought a lot for our family to stuff ourselves to death.
137
00:12:51.220 --> 00:12:54.230
It's your father's payday.
138
00:12:55.700 --> 00:12:59.710
Let's go, our youngest. You must be hungry.
139
00:12:59.710 --> 00:13:02.300
- Did someone come?
- Gas.
140
00:13:02.300 --> 00:13:04.980
Gas.
141
00:13:04.980 --> 00:13:14.670
♫ <i> Let us love each other... with Sadness... ♫
♫ Let us share with each other, (<i>1988 Bravo Cone commercial jingle) ♫ </i></i>
142
00:13:14.670 --> 00:13:20.780
♫ Oh let's meet each other twelve o' clock Bravo Cone, let's love each other ♫
143
00:13:20.780 --> 00:13:26.880
♫ Let's meet in twos, Bravo Cone. Let's love each other ♫
144
00:13:26.880 --> 00:13:33.030
♫ A date of fluttering hearts, ♫
145
00:13:33.030 --> 00:13:34.710
♫ Bravo Cone! ♫
146
00:13:34.710 --> 00:13:38.740
Oh my! Oh my! How could an ice cream be 200 won (appx. 25 cents)?
147
00:13:38.740 --> 00:13:42.580
But since it's the World Cup, ice cream costs 300 won (appx. 38 cents), right?
148
00:13:42.580 --> 00:13:45.060
A pack of cigarettes would be 300 won.
149
00:13:45.060 --> 00:13:48.350
A pack of cigarettes costs 600 won (appx. 75 cents) now. It's been a long time since the price went up.
150
00:13:51.900 --> 00:13:54.670
Oh my, this punk who hasn't even had the blood on his head dry, he wants to die!
(as if a newborn baby)
151
00:13:54.670 --> 00:13:57.520
Do you smoke, you punk! This punk!
152
00:13:57.520 --> 00:14:02.720
I don't , Dad! It's just an errand for eldest noona!
153
00:14:08.620 --> 00:14:11.510
Are you crazy! How dare you spout some nonsense!
154
00:14:11.510 --> 00:14:15.530
If you smoked it then you should say it! How dare you sell out your sister!
155
00:14:15.530 --> 00:14:18.220
You're the one who looks old enough to use grandpa's pipes!
156
00:14:18.220 --> 00:14:20.230
Do you smoke with pipes?
157
00:14:20.230 --> 00:14:21.980
I smoked.
158
00:14:21.980 --> 00:14:23.940
Either with pipes or cigarettes, it's me.
159
00:14:23.940 --> 00:14:27.560
I smoked. I smoked it. I smoked it.
160
00:14:27.560 --> 00:14:30.950
Anyway, this punk will die after we eat dinner.
161
00:14:30.950 --> 00:14:34.200
What are you doing? If the food is ready then you should come in!
162
00:14:35.580 --> 00:14:37.580
Here.
163
00:14:37.580 --> 00:14:39.290
Let's eat.
164
00:14:39.290 --> 00:14:43.520
I shared to the neighbors so it's not much. Just say if it's not enough.
165
00:14:43.520 --> 00:14:46.420
At first how much was there?
<i>(Reply series joke that Lee Il Hwa has no portion control.)</i>
166
00:14:46.420 --> 00:14:51.830
Look here, person, it's not like we are goats. Why is it all greens?
167
00:14:51.830 --> 00:14:56.360
I was wondering where my pay went to. It seems like it all went to pay for vegetables.
168
00:14:56.360 --> 00:14:59.650
Aigoo! If someone heard they would think you earn quite a lot of money.
169
00:14:59.650 --> 00:15:04.970
When I tell everyone you work at a bank, they think we're filthy rich. No one would know how I really feel. Who knows?
170
00:15:05.940 --> 00:15:07.930
Hurry and give it.
171
00:15:07.930 --> 00:15:13.170
This person, we should eat first. Oh my, look at the vegetables. They're all wilted.
172
00:15:13.170 --> 00:15:14.760
No, give it to me.
173
00:15:14.760 --> 00:15:17.580
Where is it? Here it is.
174
00:15:17.580 --> 00:15:21.750
Aigoo! The envelope is thick.
175
00:15:21.750 --> 00:15:27.230
This month, how much is in here?
176
00:15:34.670 --> 00:15:39.760
3, 7, 9, 2, 3.
177
00:15:39.760 --> 00:15:43.740
3, 17, 9, 2...
178
00:15:43.740 --> 00:15:45.390
Look here.
179
00:15:46.140 --> 00:15:50.390
♫<i> The Pepero is going in my mouth and goes to the mountain! The Pepero</i> ♫
<i>(1988 Lotte Pepero commercial jingle.) </i>
180
00:15:50.390 --> 00:15:53.240
- Bora's father!
- ♫ Ya, ya, ya ho! ♫
181
00:15:53.240 --> 00:15:56.770
♫ Dong-tak, dong-tak, dong-tak-tak... ♫ Ah!
182
00:15:59.160 --> 00:16:01.830
Why is the money short? Where did the 110,000 won (appx. $137.50) go?
183
00:16:01.830 --> 00:16:03.640
Okay. Okay.
184
00:16:03.640 --> 00:16:07.290
I... bought some books.
185
00:16:07.290 --> 00:16:11.730
You know Yeong Cheol's son, Seok Jin, right?
186
00:16:11.730 --> 00:16:18.360
That brat co-signed some loans and went completely broke.
187
00:16:18.360 --> 00:16:21.450
But then, in order to live, he kept on struggling here and there,
188
00:16:21.450 --> 00:16:24.810
and he came to the bank and asked me to buy some books.
189
00:16:24.810 --> 00:16:28.080
How could I ignore him, right?
190
00:16:28.080 --> 00:16:31.180
Is he the only one who's bankrupt? We are also!
191
00:16:31.180 --> 00:16:35.390
We also went bankrupt because you also co-signed wrongly for a promissory note. Who is helping whom now?
192
00:16:35.390 --> 00:16:40.650
Okay. But still we are living with this much to eat.
193
00:16:40.650 --> 00:16:42.710
We are just barely making ends meet.
194
00:16:42.710 --> 00:16:48.110
Deok Seon and No Eul's extra curricular fees for this month aren't paid yet and what are we going to do for Bo Ra's tuition next year?
195
00:16:48.110 --> 00:16:50.300
I'm the only bad wench here.
196
00:16:50.300 --> 00:16:52.740
I can't even have money for others
197
00:16:52.740 --> 00:16:56.160
to buy them a cup of coffee. But you are the one who's good and helping all the neighbors.
198
00:16:56.160 --> 00:16:57.800
I'm the only bad wench.
199
00:16:57.800 --> 00:17:01.430
This person, you're always talking about money.
200
00:17:01.430 --> 00:17:03.390
Look here! What is there to worry about?
201
00:17:03.390 --> 00:17:05.740
Do we not have money or debt?
202
00:17:05.740 --> 00:17:07.410
Do you think that makes sense?
203
00:17:07.410 --> 00:17:11.350
No, I'm am fine and you are healthy.
204
00:17:11.350 --> 00:17:15.210
And all three of our children are healthy.
205
00:17:15.210 --> 00:17:17.780
And they are good in their studies.
206
00:17:17.780 --> 00:17:20.720
Deok Seon this time placed 999th in the entire school.
207
00:17:20.720 --> 00:17:22.990
No Eul is 1000th.
208
00:17:22.990 --> 00:17:26.890
I just gave birth to half wits. All my children are dumb idiots.
<i>(bakasari - South Gyeongsang dialect for completely dimwitted)</i>
209
00:17:26.890 --> 00:17:29.040
That... Right!
210
00:17:29.040 --> 00:17:31.730
We have our Bo Ra. Our eldest daughter, Bo Ra. Who is she?
211
00:17:31.730 --> 00:17:34.660
She is goes where the best students in the Republic of Korea attend, Seoul National University.
212
00:17:34.660 --> 00:17:38.910
So what are you worried about? I'm not worried even this much.
213
00:17:38.910 --> 00:17:40.920
Please have my glasses changed.
214
00:17:42.190 --> 00:17:43.750
I'm asking to have my glasses changed.
215
00:17:43.750 --> 00:17:47.030
This girl, it hasn't been a year since we changed that.
216
00:17:47.030 --> 00:17:50.020
My eyes got worse. I should see things in order to study.
217
00:17:50.020 --> 00:17:53.170
Since my birthday is next week, buy me glasses for my birthday gift.
218
00:17:53.170 --> 00:17:57.020
This time, I'm having my birthday separately. I'm never having it together with Unni, got it?
219
00:17:57.020 --> 00:17:58.750
I should slap you with this lettuce.
220
00:17:58.750 --> 00:18:02.640
Your birthday is just 3 days apart from your sister, so why do it twice?
221
00:18:02.640 --> 00:18:05.320
And also, it's too much for your mom.
222
00:18:05.320 --> 00:18:07.560
You're going to buy them, right? Right, Mom?
223
00:18:07.560 --> 00:18:10.360
Those glasses are good ones. We spent a lot to buy that.
224
00:18:10.360 --> 00:18:12.200
I can't see, I tell you.
225
00:18:12.200 --> 00:18:13.690
I can't see any of the writing on the board.
226
00:18:13.690 --> 00:18:16.520
I already told you, I'm not having my birthday together.
227
00:18:16.520 --> 00:18:18.780
Hey!
228
00:18:18.780 --> 00:18:21.400
Your sister is talking.
229
00:18:21.400 --> 00:18:23.230
So funny.
230
00:18:23.230 --> 00:18:24.850
Funny?
231
00:18:24.850 --> 00:18:27.390
- You want to die!
- Mom look at this child!
232
00:18:27.390 --> 00:18:30.030
- Child?! You must be crazy!
- Mom!
233
00:18:30.030 --> 00:18:31.670
Say it again, wench! What?
234
00:18:31.670 --> 00:18:35.740
Bo Ra, stop it! All her hair is going to come off!
235
00:18:35.750 --> 00:18:38.230
You're acting like you're cursed with typhoid fever.
236
00:18:38.230 --> 00:18:41.580
Just even for one day, let's live quietly!
237
00:18:41.580 --> 00:18:44.490
IT'S SEONG DONG IL'S WISH!
238
00:18:44.490 --> 00:18:46.050
You!
239
00:18:46.050 --> 00:18:50.440
Damn it! Mother!
240
00:19:01.050 --> 00:19:02.880
Your dad is here.
241
00:19:03.820 --> 00:19:06.530
- Father, you're home.
- Father, you're home.
242
00:19:18.060 --> 00:19:22.110
♫ Excuse me. Excuse me.
(<i>imitation of comedian Jang Du Seok playing the Fan Medium on KBS's Humor #1 in late 80s</i>)
243
00:19:22.110 --> 00:19:25.770
♫ Excuse, excuse me.
244
00:19:25.770 --> 00:19:33.830
♫ Meet the Fan Medium, who peers deeply deeply into you.
245
00:19:35.840 --> 00:19:37.640
Let's eat.
246
00:19:37.640 --> 00:19:39.840
We'll eat the food well.
247
00:19:47.360 --> 00:19:50.730
That's right, that's right. You should reply like that.
248
00:19:50.730 --> 00:19:52.750
I will clear your plate.
249
00:19:52.750 --> 00:19:57.580
Darling, you should be nice while I'm here. I'm a scapegoat.
250
00:20:03.300 --> 00:20:05.550
You made salad today.
251
00:20:10.640 --> 00:20:14.430
Mother! I found someone named Bong Yi Ya (scapegoat) here.
252
00:20:14.430 --> 00:20:16.910
It's fascinating.
253
00:20:16.910 --> 00:20:22.190
<i>Kim Jeong Bong: 24-years old, six-time college entrance exam taker. Interested in everything but studying. Original otaku (obsessive).</i>
254
00:20:24.970 --> 00:20:28.940
But then, how did Deok Seon think to become a picket girl (<i> country placard bearer for parade of nations</i>)?
255
00:20:28.940 --> 00:20:33.750
Do they take tests to become one? Deok Seon is not good in her studies so what happened?
256
00:20:33.750 --> 00:20:35.890
It just happened.
257
00:20:41.070 --> 00:20:42.660
This one is made by Seon Woo's mom, right?
258
00:20:42.660 --> 00:20:46.030
It's really hard to make curry taste bad.
259
00:20:46.030 --> 00:20:47.910
How did you know?
260
00:20:47.910 --> 00:20:49.630
When I first saw it.
(<i>imitation of comedian Hwang Gi Sun's act</i>)
261
00:20:50.770 --> 00:20:54.250
Okay. I won't do it, Honey.
262
00:20:57.670 --> 00:20:59.440
Is it not funny?
263
00:21:00.170 --> 00:21:04.080
<i> - I ate one spoonful.
- You ate one spoonful?</i>
264
00:21:04.080 --> 00:21:06.670
It's delicious, right?
265
00:21:18.870 --> 00:21:21.540
Son, it's delicious right?
266
00:21:23.120 --> 00:21:24.450
Mom.
267
00:21:24.450 --> 00:21:25.540
Why? Is it a rock?
268
00:21:25.540 --> 00:21:28.420
Dad really hated this.
269
00:21:28.420 --> 00:21:30.530
I know.
270
00:21:30.530 --> 00:21:33.870
Hey, Deok Seon seems to be suffering these days.
271
00:21:33.870 --> 00:21:36.750
That girl is practically burnt black from being in the sun.
272
00:21:36.750 --> 00:21:39.800
Hey, it's still admirable that she got picked.
273
00:21:39.800 --> 00:21:44.040
Of course. She should work hard. There are only three high school students among the picket girls.
274
00:21:44.690 --> 00:21:46.050
Jin Joo.
275
00:21:46.050 --> 00:21:49.580
Deok Seon almost burned to death this summer, practicing at the HyoChang Stadium.
276
00:21:49.580 --> 00:21:54.990
Anyway, what country's sign is she carrying? I've heard it but I forgot.
277
00:21:54.990 --> 00:21:59.910
Even if I tell you, you'll probably forget it again. I also heard it for the first time.
278
00:22:01.750 --> 00:22:05.170
Are you all done, our Jin Joo?
279
00:22:08.870 --> 00:22:11.460
<i>Madagascar</i>
(BGM: Leslie Mandoki & Eva Sun - Korea, part of official Seoul Summer Olympics OST)
280
00:22:37.580 --> 00:22:40.800
Aren't you going to go out? You want to be killed, don't you!
281
00:22:40.800 --> 00:22:44.660
Are you bragging about being played by the government's 3S policy?
(3S - Sex, Sports, Screen - to distract public from real life problems)
282
00:22:44.660 --> 00:22:49.330
Do you even know about the hidden agenda of our government? <i>(re: Chun Doo Hwan Administration's policies to distract people)</i>
283
00:22:49.330 --> 00:22:51.850
Do you know how many residents were dispossessed because of the Olympics?<i> (gov. forced people out in plank-board houses)</i>
284
00:22:51.850 --> 00:22:54.370
Do you know or not? Huh!?
285
00:22:54.370 --> 00:22:56.130
What are you saying!
286
00:22:56.130 --> 00:22:59.410
Get out! Get out! Aren't you going out?
287
00:23:00.940 --> 00:23:06.300
<i> D-8 to '88 Seoul Olympics</i>
288
00:23:24.690 --> 00:23:25.970
Oppa is going.
289
00:23:25.970 --> 00:23:27.220
Mom, I'm off.
290
00:23:27.220 --> 00:23:29.790
Your lunch box.
291
00:23:32.080 --> 00:23:33.670
Mom, I need ₩1000 (appx. $1.25) for class fee.
292
00:23:33.670 --> 00:23:35.020
Class fee? For what?
293
00:23:35.020 --> 00:23:38.350
Our homeroom teacher's wedding gift. We are collecting a class fee to buy her a wedding gift.
294
00:23:38.350 --> 00:23:42.040
- Really? So I guess she finally decided to marry that Korean history teacher.
- Yeah
295
00:23:42.040 --> 00:23:45.910
But didn't they break up? I heard that the drill sergeant teacher threw a fit about it.
296
00:23:45.910 --> 00:23:48.440
Yeah. But she got pregnant.
297
00:23:48.440 --> 00:23:50.060
Is that true?
298
00:23:53.090 --> 00:23:56.790
Oh my. How embarrassing. How can she show her face?
299
00:23:56.790 --> 00:23:59.970
What should she do, your teacher!!!
300
00:23:59.970 --> 00:24:02.210
That also happened to you, Mom.
301
00:24:02.210 --> 00:24:05.330
- How much is it?
- ₩1,000.
302
00:24:08.180 --> 00:24:09.830
Mom, please give me my class fee.
303
00:24:09.830 --> 00:24:11.970
How much?
304
00:24:11.970 --> 00:24:13.830
₩30,000 (appx. $37.50).
305
00:24:16.670 --> 00:24:19.050
Mom, I want fried egg!
(<i>meat was expensive, eggs slightly more affordable</i>)
306
00:24:19.050 --> 00:24:21.260
Mom, me too!
307
00:24:27.390 --> 00:24:30.010
No need for mine. I don't need to eat it.
308
00:24:30.830 --> 00:24:33.530
Aigoo. Here.
309
00:24:34.580 --> 00:24:36.060
Eat.
310
00:24:40.330 --> 00:24:42.950
Our Deok Seon likes black beans stir-fried in soy sauce, right?
311
00:24:43.890 --> 00:24:47.610
You take after me so you're like a black bean beast. Eat a lot, my daughter.
312
00:24:48.290 --> 00:24:52.610
I wish Deok Seon's school would also have uniforms. It would be nice not to spend much on clothes.
313
00:24:52.610 --> 00:24:54.440
Noona's school is going to have them starting next year.
314
00:24:54.440 --> 00:24:56.600
You don't even go to school that much, so what use is a uniform?
315
00:24:56.600 --> 00:24:58.080
I do too go to school.
316
00:24:58.080 --> 00:25:01.940
Hey. You're only going to half of the classes today.
317
00:25:01.940 --> 00:25:04.000
Because you are practicing for the Olympics or what not.
318
00:25:04.000 --> 00:25:05.590
Yes. I only go until the 2nd period.
319
00:25:05.590 --> 00:25:08.100
I don't know if she'll be able to go to college at this rate.
320
00:25:08.100 --> 00:25:10.780
She can't. How could a 999th placer go to college?
321
00:25:10.780 --> 00:25:12.930
- Hey!
- Hey?
(<i>Like "hey you," rude.</i>)
322
00:25:12.930 --> 00:25:17.390
Hey, hey. Your food will get cold.
323
00:25:17.390 --> 00:25:20.080
You just need to work hard for one more week.
324
00:25:20.080 --> 00:25:25.290
Wow, but still, our daughter's face will be shown to the whole world. Seong Deok Seon, you've really made it.
325
00:25:25.290 --> 00:25:27.060
Because I'm pretty.
326
00:25:27.690 --> 00:25:28.680
Has she gone crazy?
327
00:25:28.680 --> 00:25:33.020
But look at how our second daughter has grown to be pretty.
328
00:25:33.020 --> 00:25:39.270
When she was born both of us cried so hard.
329
00:25:39.270 --> 00:25:42.820
We thought it was chewed <i>sujebi</i> (dough flakes soup) that was spit out.
330
00:25:42.820 --> 00:25:47.590
I... even though I gave birth to her I wanted to shove her back in.
331
00:25:47.590 --> 00:25:49.870
We put her back in halfway, then pulled her out again.
332
00:25:50.640 --> 00:25:53.220
Usually those who are born ugly are the ones who grow pretty, they say.
333
00:25:53.220 --> 00:25:56.570
It's no use being pretty when you're young.
334
00:25:58.370 --> 00:26:00.340
Hey, Seong Deok Seon.
335
00:26:01.470 --> 00:26:03.410
What's that on your lips?
336
00:26:05.180 --> 00:26:07.260
That's mine.
337
00:26:07.260 --> 00:26:10.040
- No.
- It is mine.
338
00:26:10.040 --> 00:26:12.390
- It's not.
- It's not?
339
00:26:12.390 --> 00:26:14.420
It's not.
340
00:26:15.960 --> 00:26:18.890
If you touch my makeup you will die.
341
00:26:20.000 --> 00:26:21.680
Do you get that?
342
00:26:22.710 --> 00:26:24.740
Do you get that?
343
00:26:25.410 --> 00:26:26.880
Hey, Seong Deok Seon!
344
00:26:26.880 --> 00:26:28.900
Okay.
345
00:26:59.750 --> 00:27:03.780
<i>Mathematics Education Theory</i>
346
00:28:13.410 --> 00:28:15.160
<i>Class president</i>
[Ssangmun High School]
347
00:28:16.120 --> 00:28:17.860
Attention.
348
00:28:19.000 --> 00:28:21.660
- Bow to the teacher.
- Thank you.
349
00:28:21.660 --> 00:28:23.320
Enjoy your dinner.
<i>Nighttime Self-Study, ends 22:00</i>
350
00:28:23.320 --> 00:28:26.690
Yes!
351
00:28:35.600 --> 00:28:37.240
You're seriously disgusting.
352
00:28:37.240 --> 00:28:40.570
Hey, the seniors are waiting so hurry and eat.
353
00:28:40.570 --> 00:28:42.570
Give me some soup.
354
00:28:42.570 --> 00:28:46.720
We're missing one person. We have to fill that one person. If you don't come out right now we're dead.
355
00:28:46.720 --> 00:28:51.740
Don't you see the weather outside? Soccer in this weather? Do you want to die of heat stroke?
356
00:28:58.930 --> 00:29:03.270
<i>Rumania</i>
357
00:29:03.270 --> 00:29:05.190
Five, six, seven, eight...
358
00:29:05.190 --> 00:29:08.490
One, two, three, your arms are falling. Raise your arms.
359
00:29:08.490 --> 00:29:11.200
That's right. Right. One, two, three, four.
360
00:29:11.200 --> 00:29:13.270
I told you your arms can't fall down. Raise them! That's right!
361
00:29:13.270 --> 00:29:15.710
One, two, three, four, five, si—
362
00:29:15.710 --> 00:29:17.960
This arm is also falling. Raise your arm!
363
00:29:17.960 --> 00:29:23.110
<i>Rwanda</i>
364
00:29:23.110 --> 00:29:25.810
Where are you going? Straight line. That's right.
365
00:29:25.810 --> 00:29:29.450
One, two, three, four. Walk properly. Properly.
366
00:29:29.450 --> 00:29:33.070
Five, six, seve— Straight line! Walk properly in a straight line. Look at the line down the middle.
367
00:29:33.070 --> 00:29:37.770
<i>Madagascar
Madagascar. Madagascar.</i>
368
00:29:39.940 --> 00:29:42.490
One, two— Your expression.
369
00:29:42.490 --> 00:29:44.520
Arm! Expression!
370
00:29:44.520 --> 00:29:47.280
Elegantly. Smile elegantly.
371
00:29:47.280 --> 00:29:49.340
Arm! Arm, arm!
372
00:29:49.340 --> 00:29:52.210
Expression, arm, expression.
373
00:29:52.210 --> 00:29:54.380
Elegantly, I said.
374
00:29:54.450 --> 00:29:59.920
Arm, expression, arm.
375
00:29:59.920 --> 00:30:01.450
<i>Ssangmun High, Class 16</i>
376
00:30:08.260 --> 00:30:09.380
Hurry up and eat!
377
00:30:09.380 --> 00:30:11.360
I don't want to.
378
00:30:14.780 --> 00:30:17.850
Michael, you bastard. You scared me!
379
00:30:17.850 --> 00:30:19.250
Class President, what should I do?
380
00:30:19.250 --> 00:30:20.720
- Why?
- I...
381
00:30:22.140 --> 00:30:24.320
All the student fees were mugged.
382
00:30:24.320 --> 00:30:26.040
What?!
383
00:30:28.090 --> 00:30:29.650
<i>"Math" Changed to Read "Jae-Soo" (Study One More Year to Get into University)</i>
384
00:30:29.650 --> 00:30:33.250
So why did you go there, idiot?
385
00:30:33.250 --> 00:30:37.000
I must have been possessed. They sell the tea set we wanted at the Dobong Shopping Center!
386
00:30:37.000 --> 00:30:40.950
But I must have made a wrong turn. So right when I turned around,
387
00:30:40.950 --> 00:30:43.950
I was in the back alley of Brazil Spicy Rice Cake.
388
00:30:44.810 --> 00:30:47.040
You were caught.
389
00:30:47.040 --> 00:30:49.860
You decided to serve the money up on a platter, didn't you?
390
00:30:51.160 --> 00:30:53.180
Did you get all the money stolen?
391
00:30:54.360 --> 00:30:58.730
The entire class fund. Not counting the five kids who didn't pay yet. Sixty three thousand won (appx $78.75).
392
00:30:58.730 --> 00:31:01.010
What should I do? We have to buy it by tomorrow.
393
00:31:01.010 --> 00:31:02.760
I really don't have a single cent.
394
00:31:02.760 --> 00:31:05.020
Me either.
395
00:31:12.510 --> 00:31:15.270
How much did you get for student fee today again?
396
00:31:15.920 --> 00:31:17.460
Do you want to die?
397
00:31:17.460 --> 00:31:21.010
Hey, Kim Jeong Hwan, aren't you going to hurry up and come out?
398
00:31:21.010 --> 00:31:22.530
Yes!
399
00:31:26.260 --> 00:31:28.760
Hey, wake up. Hurry up and wake up.
400
00:31:28.760 --> 00:31:30.670
Hey, hey.
401
00:31:30.670 --> 00:31:33.620
Hey, Kim Jeong Hwan! Bastard, do you want to die?!
402
00:31:34.600 --> 00:31:36.160
Yes, I'm going.
403
00:31:41.210 --> 00:31:43.130
Let's go.
404
00:31:44.270 --> 00:31:47.810
Thirty-thousand won? Did you say 30,000 won?
405
00:31:47.810 --> 00:31:52.100
Hyung-nim, it's 1,000 won. Just 1,000 won. You should ask before giving.
406
00:31:52.100 --> 00:31:53.940
What if he uses it to do something bad?
407
00:31:53.940 --> 00:31:56.180
I guess he needed it.
408
00:31:56.960 --> 00:31:58.910
Jin Joo is putting on make up.
409
00:31:59.690 --> 00:32:03.170
Who does she take up after that she is already trying to doll herself up?
410
00:32:03.170 --> 00:32:05.960
She resembles you. Do you think she resembles Seon Woo's dad?
411
00:32:05.960 --> 00:32:08.380
That country bumpkin?
412
00:32:09.900 --> 00:32:12.390
But, why did they need the student fee?
413
00:32:12.390 --> 00:32:14.790
I don't know. He didn't tell me.
414
00:32:14.790 --> 00:32:17.320
Their homeroom teacher is marrying the history teacher.
415
00:32:17.320 --> 00:32:20.160
Really? She must have been a single lady teacher.
416
00:32:20.160 --> 00:32:24.270
It's been an year since they've been dating. She was popular for being pretty.
417
00:32:24.270 --> 00:32:28.830
They were secretly dating. But as they were walking and holding hands, they got caught red-handed by Michael.
418
00:32:28.830 --> 00:32:30.060
Who is Michael?
419
00:32:30.060 --> 00:32:31.800
His class's manager.
420
00:32:31.800 --> 00:32:34.760
Since that kid had dark skin and thick lips,
421
00:32:34.760 --> 00:32:39.050
they call him Michael because he looks like the character Michael from the cartoon, Dooly.
422
00:32:39.050 --> 00:32:42.930
Really, you know all sorts of things.
423
00:32:42.930 --> 00:32:47.850
Because Seon Woo comes and tells me everything. There are no secrets between us.
424
00:32:47.850 --> 00:32:49.840
You are making your son weary.
425
00:32:49.840 --> 00:32:53.010
Hyung-nim, he comes to me first and tells me.
426
00:32:53.010 --> 00:32:56.290
He's a hundred times better than Jeong Hwan who comes home and says nothing.
427
00:32:56.290 --> 00:32:58.420
Hyung-nim, you must be so bored. How can you live?
428
00:32:58.420 --> 00:33:00.640
We say all the stuff we need to.
429
00:33:01.540 --> 00:33:03.720
Don't worry about my son but your daughter.
430
00:33:03.720 --> 00:33:06.590
She's going to kill that horse.
431
00:33:08.050 --> 00:33:11.790
It's okay. The horse has a lot of strength.
432
00:33:14.970 --> 00:33:17.530
That horse has a lot of strength, but...
433
00:33:21.180 --> 00:33:24.980
And, Hyung-nim, even though you live with a husband younger than you, feed him good stuff.
434
00:33:24.980 --> 00:33:27.510
Then he'll have strength at night.
435
00:33:27.510 --> 00:33:29.810
She bought thirty eels yesterday. (Eels are said to boost male virility.)
436
00:33:29.810 --> 00:33:32.560
Every month, with the eels, loach, chicken soup with ginseng,
437
00:33:32.560 --> 00:33:34.580
she completely wasted ten million won (appx. $10K).
438
00:33:34.580 --> 00:33:36.050
Really?
439
00:33:36.050 --> 00:33:38.830
Don't be like that. You should feed Bo Ra's Father such good stuff.
440
00:33:38.830 --> 00:33:41.350
These days his face is looking very tired.
441
00:33:41.350 --> 00:33:43.800
Who would say that he looks the same age as Jeong Bong's Father?
442
00:33:43.800 --> 00:33:46.350
He looks at least ten years older.
443
00:33:46.350 --> 00:33:48.610
Who has the money for that?
444
00:33:48.610 --> 00:33:51.620
It's not that you don't have money, you don't have the space.
445
00:33:52.700 --> 00:33:56.240
What if he eats eel? He can't release it.
446
00:33:56.240 --> 00:33:59.000
Bo Ra's father is also a pitiful man.
447
00:33:59.520 --> 00:34:01.930
Hyung-nim, tonight is the perfect night.
448
00:34:01.930 --> 00:34:04.610
The kids won't get home from night studying until after 11 o'clock.
449
00:34:04.610 --> 00:34:09.430
Bo Ra is not coming home today. Why don't you try making a little sibling for No Eul?
450
00:34:09.430 --> 00:34:13.670
Aigoo, aigoo. That's enough. So noisy, so noisy.
451
00:34:15.310 --> 00:34:17.230
Come here, come here.
452
00:34:18.750 --> 00:34:20.460
Bo Ra's Father, you're here?
453
00:34:20.460 --> 00:34:21.850
He's coming.
454
00:34:21.850 --> 00:34:23.820
Why did you come so early today?
455
00:34:23.820 --> 00:34:27.350
Hyung-nim, didn't he come home early to make a little sibling for No Eul?
456
00:34:27.350 --> 00:34:29.100
I didn't even heat the soup yet.
457
00:34:29.100 --> 00:34:31.600
Why do you heat the soup? You have to heat his body first.
458
00:34:34.500 --> 00:34:36.380
Really...
459
00:34:38.810 --> 00:34:44.730
Bo Ra's Father, don't worry about anything today and do all that you want!
460
00:34:44.730 --> 00:34:48.350
<i>We'll be guarding the front door!</i>
461
00:34:48.350 --> 00:34:51.620
<i>No one will come in so you can keep going at it</i>
462
00:34:51.620 --> 00:34:55.780
<i>with an Olympic spirit, fighting!</i>
463
00:34:57.660 --> 00:35:00.510
I think those people's energy all gathers in their mouths.
464
00:35:00.510 --> 00:35:02.460
Those people who have such weird energy running through them!
465
00:35:02.460 --> 00:35:04.440
Aigoo, you know they're like this all the time.
466
00:35:04.440 --> 00:35:09.030
I can't even come home from work because I'm scared of those women.
467
00:35:09.030 --> 00:35:11.920
I wish they would just die one of these days.
468
00:35:11.920 --> 00:35:14.860
While we're talking about it anyway, why don't you go wash up first.
469
00:35:15.680 --> 00:35:17.820
Jeong Bong's Father is late today.
470
00:35:17.820 --> 00:35:21.210
He always comes home at 7 PM, we could set a clock by him.
471
00:35:21.210 --> 00:35:25.490
He's probably holding someone captive and telling his bad jokes.
472
00:35:25.490 --> 00:35:28.560
<i>Bong-Hwang-Dang: Gold Jewelry, Luxury Brand Watches</i>
473
00:35:53.320 --> 00:35:57.280
- You came. You're three minutes late today.
- Yes.
474
00:35:57.280 --> 00:36:00.630
I met Taek's father while coming.
475
00:36:00.630 --> 00:36:03.540
Aren't you cold? Why do you bare your shoulders like that?
476
00:36:03.540 --> 00:36:04.930
Oh my...
477
00:36:04.930 --> 00:36:08.770
Are you afraid that someone might take your wife?
478
00:36:08.770 --> 00:36:10.400
Don't worry.
479
00:36:10.400 --> 00:36:14.770
She's only pretty in your eyes. No one else thinks that. To them she's Kang Ho Dong's shoulder.
480
00:36:14.770 --> 00:36:17.390
It's enough as long as she's pretty in my eyes.
481
00:36:18.230 --> 00:36:19.790
Honey.
482
00:36:20.830 --> 00:36:22.320
Stop, really!
483
00:36:22.320 --> 00:36:28.620
Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop. Stop, stop.
484
00:36:30.810 --> 00:36:39.500
Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop. Stop, stop.
485
00:36:40.510 --> 00:36:42.900
<i>1988 Seoul Olympic D-7</i>
486
00:36:42.900 --> 00:36:46.360
Have a good weekend and don't wander off because it's Saturday.
487
00:36:46.360 --> 00:36:48.510
And be sure to show your parents your report cards.
488
00:36:48.510 --> 00:36:50.550
Yes!
489
00:36:51.570 --> 00:36:53.500
Class President!
490
00:36:54.200 --> 00:36:55.780
Attention!
491
00:36:58.370 --> 00:36:59.450
Bow!
492
00:36:59.450 --> 00:37:02.840
Teacher, congratulations on your wedding!
493
00:37:26.020 --> 00:37:29.470
I don't have enough. You have some, right?
494
00:37:31.510 --> 00:37:36.390
One, two, three, four, five. I have exactly 500 won (63 cents) Take it.
495
00:37:36.390 --> 00:37:37.810
Where are you going?
496
00:37:37.810 --> 00:37:40.300
Dobong Shopping Center, to get our teacher's gift.
497
00:37:40.300 --> 00:37:42.610
Let's go together.
498
00:37:42.610 --> 00:37:46.610
Forget it. You guys go together. I promised to play with Jin Joo.
499
00:37:47.720 --> 00:37:50.260
He's ditching us every day these days.
500
00:37:52.750 --> 00:37:55.270
- Hey, I have to go to the restroom.
- Then go and come.
501
00:37:55.270 --> 00:37:58.730
- Let's go together.
- Come to the third floor, I'll go ahead.
502
00:38:13.190 --> 00:38:15.310
<i>Dobong Shopping Center</i>
503
00:38:16.790 --> 00:38:19.320
<i>Brazil Spicy Rice Cakes</i>
504
00:38:40.530 --> 00:38:43.670
<i>There are two of them there. We have two, too.</i>
505
00:38:43.670 --> 00:38:45.550
<i>It's worth trying.</i>
506
00:38:46.250 --> 00:38:50.060
<i>The problem is Dong Ryong. If only he covers one person,</i>
507
00:38:50.060 --> 00:38:52.430
<i>There's a high chance of winning.</i>
508
00:38:52.430 --> 00:38:56.580
<i>Who should I hit first? Right? Left?</i>
509
00:38:56.580 --> 00:39:00.840
<i>I've given them too much time. Right now. I need to hit him right now.</i>
510
00:39:10.570 --> 00:39:13.770
Jeong Hwan, they want you to come too.
511
00:39:22.020 --> 00:39:26.710
♫ <i>I want to cry ♫</i>
(BGM: Lee Nam E - I Want to Cry)
512
00:39:26.710 --> 00:39:31.240
I want to cry, too.
513
00:39:31.240 --> 00:39:34.050
Hyung-nim, what concerns would you have?
514
00:39:34.050 --> 00:39:37.510
Your husband earns a lot of money. Both of your sons cause you no trouble.
515
00:39:37.510 --> 00:39:41.600
I envy your life the most out of all the people in the world.
516
00:39:42.640 --> 00:39:47.150
What does it matter if I feed him eel? It all becomes poop.
517
00:39:49.490 --> 00:39:53.290
It costs more to unplug the toilet.
518
00:39:53.290 --> 00:39:57.120
Why? You two didn't <i>"go to Hong Kong"</i> after feeding him eel?
(<i>euphemism for sex. Because it's as beautiful as the HK night view</i>)
519
00:39:57.930 --> 00:40:01.270
Hong Kong, my butt. We didn't even go to Jeju Island.
520
00:40:01.270 --> 00:40:04.860
If he has a conscience, shouldn't he go outside the country at least?
521
00:40:04.860 --> 00:40:06.490
He doesn't have a conscience.
522
00:40:08.230 --> 00:40:14.740
♫ <i>If you leave, you'll understand.</i> ♫
523
00:40:14.740 --> 00:40:22.510
♫ <i>Probably, you'll understand.</i> ♫
524
00:40:22.510 --> 00:40:29.610
♫ <i>If you leave, you'll understand.</i> ♫
525
00:40:29.610 --> 00:40:34.130
♫ <i>Probably, you'll understand.</i> ♫
526
00:40:34.130 --> 00:40:36.980
Hello!
527
00:40:38.620 --> 00:40:40.640
That jerk with no conscience.
528
00:40:53.950 --> 00:40:58.520
We hyungs really want to eat Brazil Spicy Rice Cakes, but don't have the money for it.
529
00:40:58.520 --> 00:41:02.030
If I become a great person later on, I'll repay it.
530
00:41:03.510 --> 00:41:05.240
Is this everything?
531
00:41:07.090 --> 00:41:10.130
If I search and find more, it's ten hits per 10 won (a penny).
532
00:41:12.040 --> 00:41:13.650
You can leave.
533
00:41:14.710 --> 00:41:16.510
Thank you.
534
00:41:16.510 --> 00:41:18.350
Thank you.
535
00:41:20.000 --> 00:41:21.760
Wait a moment.
536
00:41:24.950 --> 00:41:26.660
What is your shoe size?
537
00:41:26.660 --> 00:41:28.640
260 mm.
(<i>US Men's Size 8)</i>
538
00:41:40.490 --> 00:41:42.340
Hey Cabalo. (Brand of his shoes.)
539
00:41:43.610 --> 00:41:45.390
Put that back on.
540
00:42:00.450 --> 00:42:02.530
- Are you going to go meet Dad?
- Yeah.
541
00:42:02.530 --> 00:42:05.510
It's time for my son to come home, too.
542
00:42:05.510 --> 00:42:06.800
Hello.
543
00:42:06.800 --> 00:42:08.170
Oh hello, you're back!
544
00:42:08.170 --> 00:42:11.120
Jin Joo! How are you doing?
545
00:42:11.120 --> 00:42:13.900
- Is today's dinner bean sprout soup?
- That's right.
546
00:42:13.900 --> 00:42:15.500
What about Jeong Hwan? Didn't you come back together?
547
00:42:15.500 --> 00:42:18.320
Yes. He went somewhere with Dong Ryong. He will come back soon.
548
00:42:18.320 --> 00:42:20.160
Today is the day you get report cards, right?
549
00:42:20.160 --> 00:42:21.770
Did you take a test?
550
00:42:21.770 --> 00:42:23.980
Yes, last week.
551
00:42:24.660 --> 00:42:27.450
She didn't know. You didn't know this time either, right?
552
00:42:27.450 --> 00:42:29.900
No, he told me about it.
553
00:42:29.900 --> 00:42:32.830
You said that your grade dropped a bit, right? You said that you messed up your math test?
554
00:42:32.830 --> 00:42:34.460
Yes, a little bit.
555
00:42:34.460 --> 00:42:37.440
So this time you didn't come in first place? Then who came in first place?
556
00:42:37.440 --> 00:42:38.370
This time...
557
00:42:38.370 --> 00:42:41.180
This, how did it happen?
558
00:42:41.180 --> 00:42:42.970
Did you fight with someone?
559
00:42:42.970 --> 00:42:45.290
No, why would I fight?
560
00:42:45.290 --> 00:42:47.280
Who did this to you?
561
00:42:47.280 --> 00:42:51.060
I said that it's no one. I just got a scratch.
562
00:42:51.060 --> 00:42:53.350
I will go in first.
563
00:42:56.320 --> 00:42:59.010
Where did you get this?
564
00:43:03.390 --> 00:43:08.830
It's okay. It's nothing. Just leave him alone and stop exhausting him.
565
00:43:08.830 --> 00:43:10.840
Is he hanging out with bad kids?
566
00:43:10.840 --> 00:43:14.330
Is Seon Woo the kind of kid to do so? I might wonder if it was my kid.
567
00:43:14.330 --> 00:43:16.320
He probably fought with a friend.
568
00:43:16.320 --> 00:43:17.900
What if he got hit by some bad guy?
569
00:43:17.900 --> 00:43:21.620
Forget it. Stop it. He just got one bandage on his chin.
570
00:43:21.620 --> 00:43:25.480
If something really happened, Seon Woo would have come to you and told you.
571
00:43:25.480 --> 00:43:27.610
Stop worrying.
572
00:43:28.770 --> 00:43:30.610
The kids are coming.
573
00:43:32.860 --> 00:43:34.970
- Hello.
- Yeah!
574
00:43:34.970 --> 00:43:37.720
Dong Ryong, your face is happy these days.
575
00:43:39.520 --> 00:43:41.720
You're back, my son?
576
00:43:47.440 --> 00:43:52.920
A daughter is better. Even though my daughter is ranked 999th place in her grade, a daughter is better.
577
00:43:55.240 --> 00:43:59.460
Why isn't Deok Seon coming? I guess they keep the girls late even on Saturdays?
578
00:43:59.460 --> 00:44:03.610
No. She usually comes early on Saturdays.
579
00:44:03.610 --> 00:44:09.730
My husband is not home yet, my son who went to pick him up isn't back yet and my daughter is still not home. Where is everyone?
580
00:44:16.820 --> 00:44:21.240
Hurry up and eat it, your Mom is probably waiting. Why are you eating it so slow?
581
00:44:21.240 --> 00:44:24.220
<i>Dooly Supermarket Chain</i>
582
00:44:26.080 --> 00:44:28.690
Does that taste that good?
583
00:44:36.860 --> 00:44:39.920
This is why you come to meet him after work every day.
584
00:44:39.920 --> 00:44:43.420
Did you eat a World Cup ice cream cone every day? I want some, too!
585
00:44:49.980 --> 00:44:55.960
Your mom and sister should have some, too. It's heartless if just the three of us eat ice cream.
586
00:44:55.960 --> 00:44:57.970
Your dad is hungry. Let's go.
587
00:44:57.970 --> 00:45:00.560
The ahjummas are in front of the house.
588
00:45:00.560 --> 00:45:03.180
Then eat two and call it dinner.
589
00:45:07.400 --> 00:45:09.720
Sit down and eat it in peace.
590
00:45:20.790 --> 00:45:23.730
I told you to go to the dentist. It won't cost that much.
591
00:45:23.730 --> 00:45:28.100
I have money. I'll go next week.
592
00:45:28.100 --> 00:45:33.000
But are you really not going to tell me, my son?
593
00:45:33.000 --> 00:45:37.180
How did that happen? Tell your mom.
594
00:45:37.180 --> 00:45:42.790
Ah, it's really nothing serious, Mom. Don't worry about it. I'll go to Jeong Hwan's for a bit.
595
00:45:53.380 --> 00:45:54.590
Are you a ghost?
(<i>cultural ref: the dead wear white</i>)
596
00:45:54.590 --> 00:45:57.180
Why? Is it your first time seeing someone in a hanbok (traditional Korean clothing)?
597
00:45:57.180 --> 00:46:00.000
You're doing all sorts of things now, all sorts.
598
00:46:00.820 --> 00:46:04.250
They changed our outfits to hanboks. It looks better, doesn't it?
599
00:46:04.250 --> 00:46:07.250
Uh, you shouldn't do anything at all. That's what looks best.
600
00:46:14.990 --> 00:46:17.040
What is that?
601
00:46:18.530 --> 00:46:21.680
What's this? They changed the outfits to hanboks?
602
00:46:21.680 --> 00:46:23.030
Yes, isn't it pretty?
603
00:46:23.030 --> 00:46:25.050
No, it's not.
604
00:46:27.640 --> 00:46:30.420
Ah, you startled me!
605
00:46:30.420 --> 00:46:32.570
Oh, really!
606
00:46:32.570 --> 00:46:36.960
If you were close, I would have hit you once.
607
00:46:36.960 --> 00:46:38.700
What are you doing during the nighttime?
608
00:46:38.700 --> 00:46:42.540
Really, talk about Madagascar nonsense.
609
00:46:47.590 --> 00:46:50.880
<i>The 24th Seoul Olympic Games</i>
610
00:46:50.880 --> 00:46:55.000
<i>The world to Seoul, Seoul to the world!</i>
611
00:46:57.100 --> 00:47:04.260
♫ <i>Everyone, like close friends; Everyone, like close siblings</i> ♫
(BGM: Kim Ja Yeon - From the Land of Morning Calm)
612
00:47:04.260 --> 00:47:10.540
♫ <i>This place, where our hearts open up</i> ♫
613
00:47:10.540 --> 00:47:14.820
<i>Perfect Readiness for the Olympics</i>
♫ <i>This is Seoul, Korea</i> ♫
614
00:47:14.820 --> 00:47:18.570
♫ <i>These streets, overflowing with love</i> ♫
615
00:47:18.570 --> 00:47:22.040
♫ <i>The riverside, where the breeze is cool</i> ♫
616
00:47:22.040 --> 00:47:23.500
Hello.
♫ <i>The dreams</i> ♫
617
00:47:23.500 --> 00:47:26.040
- You're back!
- Hi!
♫ <i>of the best and brightest is overflowing</i> ♫
618
00:47:26.040 --> 00:47:28.010
Hi, Jin Joo.
♫ <i>in Seoul, Korea</i> ♫
619
00:47:28.010 --> 00:47:29.460
Mom, do your feet hurt?
620
00:47:29.460 --> 00:47:32.600
Yes, they hurt really bad.
621
00:47:32.600 --> 00:47:38.530
♫ <i>The flag which waves in the blue sky</i> ♫
622
00:47:38.530 --> 00:47:39.870
Son!
623
00:47:39.870 --> 00:47:48.080
♫ <i>The touch of peace that unites the world into one ♫</i>
624
00:47:48.080 --> 00:47:55.280
♫ <i>Let's gather, let's gather ♫</i>
625
00:47:55.280 --> 00:47:57.850
♫ <i>In the Land of the Morning Calm</i> ♫
626
00:47:57.850 --> 00:48:02.440
Oppa!
♫ <i>In the Land of the Morning Calm</i> ♫
627
00:48:02.440 --> 00:48:05.800
♫ <i>Let's gather</i>♫
628
00:48:05.800 --> 00:48:09.410
Cheers!
♫ <i>Let's gather</i> ♫
629
00:48:09.410 --> 00:48:10.750
Hello.
630
00:48:10.750 --> 00:48:13.040
- Oh, you're back?
- You're back, Seon Woo.
631
00:48:13.040 --> 00:48:15.820
Aigoo, Jin Joo is so lucky her brother is here.
632
00:48:15.820 --> 00:48:17.250
She's lucky indeed!
633
00:48:17.250 --> 00:48:20.650
- I'll go home.
- Bye!
634
00:48:23.210 --> 00:48:26.030
- You're back!
- Oh, you're back?
635
00:48:31.350 --> 00:48:38.680
♫ <i>Let's gather, let's gather</i> ♫
636
00:48:38.680 --> 00:48:45.870
♫ <i>In the Land of the Morning Calm</i> ♫
637
00:48:45.870 --> 00:48:52.710
♫ <i>Let's gather, let's gather</i> ♫
638
00:48:52.710 --> 00:48:56.720
Mom, I'm going to be practicing in the Jamshil Olympic Stadium starting today.
639
00:48:56.720 --> 00:49:02.090
Isn't it completely awesome? It's totally huge here. <i>Hodori</i> (<i>Olympic Mascot's name</i>) is the size of Mt. Nam, too.
640
00:49:04.070 --> 00:49:06.410
Hyung-nim, it's probably nothing, right?
641
00:49:06.410 --> 00:49:09.070
I told you it's not!
642
00:49:09.070 --> 00:49:12.190
He's at an age where he has his own thoughts and secrets.
643
00:49:12.190 --> 00:49:15.180
When will you cut the apron strings?
644
00:49:15.740 --> 00:49:19.280
This is enough, right? This is probably enough for three families, right?
645
00:49:19.280 --> 00:49:23.180
So many dumplings! Seon Woo's dad would this eat until his stomach exploded.
646
00:49:23.180 --> 00:49:25.390
He must have liked dumplings a lot.
647
00:49:25.390 --> 00:49:28.180
Dumplings are second place. Something else is first place.
648
00:49:28.180 --> 00:49:32.330
Rice wine. He would drink one whole bottle of rice wine in a day.
649
00:49:32.330 --> 00:49:35.470
Although that's fine because it's not expensive.
650
00:49:35.470 --> 00:49:36.770
Hyung-nim.
651
00:49:36.770 --> 00:49:40.680
Please lend me 30,000 won (appx. $37.50). I'll pay you back when I receive my money next month.
652
00:49:40.680 --> 00:49:41.810
Okay.
653
00:49:41.810 --> 00:49:46.040
Aigoo, it's almost Seon Woo's birthday. Isn't it the same day as Deok Seon's?
654
00:49:46.040 --> 00:49:47.450
Did you both do it on the same day?
655
00:49:47.450 --> 00:49:48.970
What are you talking about?
656
00:49:48.970 --> 00:49:51.620
Jin Joo is listening.
657
00:49:51.620 --> 00:49:55.720
Hyung-nim, when did you do it? I did it on the last day of December in the mountains, while picking pears.
658
00:49:55.720 --> 00:50:00.170
Your kid is listening. Stop it. Are you going to buy Seon Woo a birthday present?
659
00:50:00.170 --> 00:50:03.680
Yes. What should I buy for him?
660
00:50:03.680 --> 00:50:06.240
I know, right? What should we buy for our grown sons?
661
00:50:06.240 --> 00:50:09.600
You can buy him more sneakers.
662
00:50:10.870 --> 00:50:14.140
You don't know again. You didn't know, right?
663
00:50:15.450 --> 00:50:18.040
Jeong Hwan got his sneakers stolen.
664
00:50:18.040 --> 00:50:20.770
Oh my. When? By whom?
665
00:50:20.770 --> 00:50:23.960
Who do you think it would be? Hoodlums, of course.
666
00:50:23.960 --> 00:50:27.470
He could have been in big danger. Is he hurt anywhere?
667
00:50:27.470 --> 00:50:31.130
He's not hurt, but he got his sneakers and money taken.
668
00:50:31.130 --> 00:50:34.470
It's been a few days. I heard it from Seon Woo.
669
00:50:34.470 --> 00:50:38.470
Looks like Jeong Hwan didn't tell you because he thought you would worry.
670
00:50:38.470 --> 00:50:40.990
It's fine as long as the child didn't get hurt.
671
00:50:41.920 --> 00:50:45.850
Oh, look. Speak of the devil.
672
00:50:47.710 --> 00:50:48.760
Hello.
673
00:50:48.760 --> 00:50:52.040
Oh, Jeong Hwan. You've worked hard to study.
674
00:50:52.040 --> 00:50:54.150
Go in and rest.
675
00:51:19.310 --> 00:51:21.630
Mother, there's no food.
676
00:51:21.630 --> 00:51:26.410
Your father said he would buy fried chicken. He'll buy two chickens.
677
00:51:26.410 --> 00:51:28.030
Yes.
678
00:51:36.680 --> 00:51:39.030
There's no 'fried chicken' in there.
679
00:51:39.030 --> 00:51:42.110
Who would name their child 'fried chicken?'
680
00:51:42.880 --> 00:51:46.120
Younger sibling, I'm not looking for 'fried chicken' right now.
681
00:51:49.830 --> 00:51:54.420
Two of them (<i>Pronounced Doo Ma Ri in Korean. "Ma Ri" is the quantifier for animals</i>) I'm looking to see if anyone has the name Doo Ma Ri.
682
00:51:54.420 --> 00:51:56.730
I'm looking for that right now.
683
00:52:02.490 --> 00:52:04.190
Who is it?
684
00:52:12.550 --> 00:52:13.860
Jeong Hwan.
685
00:52:13.860 --> 00:52:15.450
Yes.
686
00:52:22.730 --> 00:52:24.270
What is it?
687
00:52:27.100 --> 00:52:29.500
There's nothing going on these days, right?
688
00:52:37.440 --> 00:52:39.450
Father has arrived.
689
00:52:41.470 --> 00:52:45.430
Aigoo, President Ra!
(<i>ref to Pukchon Water Vendors from KBS Humor#1</i>)
690
00:52:47.980 --> 00:52:50.340
You have to say 'President Kim'.
691
00:52:51.320 --> 00:52:53.650
We could divorce.
692
00:53:02.470 --> 00:53:04.830
<i>Madagascar </i>
693
00:53:08.510 --> 00:53:13.990
Aigoo-oo-oo! President Seong.
694
00:53:13.990 --> 00:53:16.680
Aigoo! President Kim.
695
00:53:16.680 --> 00:53:22.720
It's great to see you. It's great to see you. It's great to see you. It's great to see you.
(<i>Pukchon County is in Hamgyeong Province, North Korea</i>)
696
00:53:24.410 --> 00:53:27.250
- Deok Seon, you're all I have.
- Is that fried chicken?
697
00:53:27.250 --> 00:53:31.260
You eat the drumsticks. Don't give it to anybody else, okay?
698
00:53:31.260 --> 00:53:33.560
<i>The Seoul Olympics Opening Ceremony will be held four days from now,</i>
699
00:53:33.560 --> 00:53:37.390
<i>and the interest in who will be the final torch bearer is growing by the day.</i>
700
00:53:37.390 --> 00:53:41.070
<i>The IOC (International Olympic Committee) has stated</i>
701
00:53:41.070 --> 00:53:44.310
<i>that the person hidden behind a veil, will not be revealed until that day.</i>
702
00:53:44.310 --> 00:53:47.300
It's Heo Jae (basketball player). Don't you think so?
703
00:53:47.300 --> 00:53:51.080
Why bother caring? It has nothing to do with us.
704
00:53:51.080 --> 00:53:52.980
Do you not read the newspaper?
705
00:53:52.980 --> 00:53:57.630
Heo Jae has already been appointed as the athletes' representative. It's not him.
706
00:53:57.630 --> 00:53:59.300
Is that right?
707
00:54:00.360 --> 00:54:04.190
I think there is only one person who can be the one.
708
00:54:04.190 --> 00:54:06.290
- Lim Choon Ae (track and field athlete)
- Huh?
709
00:54:06.290 --> 00:54:07.990
No way.
710
00:54:07.990 --> 00:54:12.670
Look and see if my words are right or wrong.
711
00:54:14.010 --> 00:54:17.260
Don't eat the wings. You'll cheat on me. (<i>superstition that he will "fly away" and commit adultery</i>)
712
00:54:17.260 --> 00:54:20.750
Deok Seon, eat a lot.
713
00:54:21.600 --> 00:54:23.700
Mom, what about you?
714
00:54:23.700 --> 00:54:26.470
I don't like chicken. You guys eat a lot.
715
00:54:26.470 --> 00:54:29.200
<i>As someone who will be the holding the placard for the Soviet Team who have never been to Korea before,</i>
716
00:54:29.200 --> 00:54:32.470
- It's Unni Soviet Union.
<i>- I feel infinitely great honor and responsibility.</i>
717
00:54:32.470 --> 00:54:35.710
<i>Through these Olympic Games, I hope the coldness between the two nations will thaw,</i>
718
00:54:35.710 --> 00:54:38.380
<i>that the exchanges more spirited...</i>
719
00:54:38.380 --> 00:54:40.790
Little Noona, why don't you do interviews?
720
00:54:40.790 --> 00:54:42.330
Yesterday, the Noona East Germany did it, too.
721
00:54:42.330 --> 00:54:46.090
Are you crazy? Why would they interview her? They only interview pretty girls.
722
00:54:46.090 --> 00:54:47.190
Oh yeah?
723
00:54:47.190 --> 00:54:51.450
Then Deok Seon would be picked. Especially since there are only three high school students.
724
00:54:51.450 --> 00:54:55.180
If it's not our great Deok Seon, than who else under heaven would it be?
725
00:54:55.180 --> 00:54:57.130
I will do an interview, too.
726
00:54:57.840 --> 00:54:59.630
I'm doing the interview tomorrow.
727
00:54:59.630 --> 00:55:02.090
- Wow?
- Crazy bitch. You're lying.
728
00:55:02.090 --> 00:55:04.310
It's true.
729
00:55:04.310 --> 00:55:07.780
Hey. How can you call your little sister a crazy bitch?
730
00:55:07.780 --> 00:55:09.850
The crazy bitch is lying.
731
00:55:09.850 --> 00:55:12.060
You wench, I oughta just... in your mouth...
732
00:55:12.060 --> 00:55:14.010
Why are you always like that to me?
733
00:55:14.010 --> 00:55:15.620
Because you're weird. <i>(uses very informal style)</i>
734
00:55:15.620 --> 00:55:20.360
"You"? "You"? Are you crazy? You?
735
00:55:20.360 --> 00:55:24.470
- Mom!
- Who are you?! What?! What use is calling Mom?!
736
00:55:24.470 --> 00:55:26.530
Mom, Mom!
737
00:55:26.530 --> 00:55:29.800
Let go!
738
00:55:29.800 --> 00:55:33.310
Really!
739
00:55:33.310 --> 00:55:38.050
<i>1988 Seoul Olympic D-3</i>
740
00:55:58.630 --> 00:56:00.860
Deok Seon, they said to come out now.
741
00:56:00.860 --> 00:56:02.600
Really?
742
00:56:15.450 --> 00:56:19.070
Don't be nervous, and just calmly answer the questions.
743
00:56:19.070 --> 00:56:21.280
Yes, I understand.
744
00:56:21.280 --> 00:56:23.880
Please introduce yourself first.
745
00:56:23.880 --> 00:56:28.870
Hello. At this celebration of progress and harmony, this occasion in which our nation becomes one with the world,
746
00:56:28.870 --> 00:56:35.070
I am Seong Deok Seon of Ssangmun Girl's High School who has been assigned as Madagascar's picket girl at these Olympic Games of 1988.
747
00:56:35.070 --> 00:56:38.520
Yes. I heard you were the youngest out of all the picket girls.
748
00:56:38.520 --> 00:56:40.360
Wasn't it hard for you?
749
00:56:40.360 --> 00:56:42.410
It wasn't hard at all.
750
00:56:42.410 --> 00:56:45.770
Because the picket girl unnis treated me kindly, like their younger sister,
751
00:56:45.770 --> 00:56:49.460
I have never thought even once that it was difficult.
752
00:56:49.460 --> 00:56:52.120
Still, if you must pick the most difficult part?
753
00:56:52.120 --> 00:56:56.460
I think of it as a huge honor to serve in a national event.
754
00:56:56.460 --> 00:57:00.110
Even if I had difficulties for a moment, with full commitment and dedication
755
00:57:00.110 --> 00:57:02.690
I was able to overcome them quickly.
756
00:57:02.690 --> 00:57:05.520
You really have great pride as a picket girl.
757
00:57:05.520 --> 00:57:09.060
That's why this must be more regrettable for you.
758
00:57:09.060 --> 00:57:12.600
When did you find out that Madagascar pulled out?
759
00:57:15.600 --> 00:57:18.820
We received the report just yesterday that Madagascar will not attend these Olympic Games.
760
00:57:18.820 --> 00:57:22.070
You must feel very disappointed as a picket girl for that country.
761
00:57:22.070 --> 00:57:24.050
How do you feel?
762
00:57:27.860 --> 00:57:31.560
You still seem to be in great shock.
763
00:57:31.560 --> 00:57:35.420
And in past half of the year, in this hot weather,
764
00:57:35.420 --> 00:57:38.420
didn't you go through lots of hardship?
765
00:57:42.210 --> 00:57:46.810
Miss Seong Deok Seon... yeah.
766
00:57:46.810 --> 00:57:49.860
It is very disappointing.
767
00:57:49.860 --> 00:57:56.220
It's regretful, but please give a final word to the nation's citizens.
768
00:58:04.560 --> 00:58:09.620
Although I am unable to participate in the Olympics,
769
00:58:10.400 --> 00:58:13.700
for the 1988 Seoul Olympics to succeed,
770
00:58:13.700 --> 00:58:17.570
I will pray and cheer harder than anyone else.
771
00:58:17.570 --> 00:58:22.310
The world to Seoul and Seoul to the world. Fighting!
772
00:58:23.950 --> 00:58:29.150
<i>With only three days left, Madagascar declared that they will not attend these Olympic Games.</i>
773
00:58:29.150 --> 00:58:31.640
<i>Because Seoul refused to co-host the Olympics with North Korea</i>
774
00:58:31.640 --> 00:58:34.890
<i>it is thought that Madagascar is boycotting these Games for that reason.</i>
775
00:58:34.890 --> 00:58:38.620
<i>Mario Vázquez Raña, President of the Association of National Olympic Committees told the media</i>
776
00:58:38.620 --> 00:58:42.130
<i>that Madagascar's decision was political</i>
777
00:58:42.130 --> 00:58:47.950
<i>and that it was certainly the result of a request from North Korea.</i>
778
00:58:55.950 --> 00:58:59.870
Seon Woo, please buy me some cooking oil.
779
00:59:00.970 --> 00:59:04.260
Seon Woo, please buy me cooking oil!
780
00:59:05.900 --> 00:59:07.580
Seon Woo.
<i>A Better Tomorrow II</i>
781
00:59:11.190 --> 00:59:13.750
Oppa isn't here.
782
00:59:13.750 --> 00:59:16.500
He put on his jacket and left.
783
00:59:40.120 --> 00:59:44.360
<i>English Words and Phrases II</i>
784
01:00:54.660 --> 01:00:58.160
Noona. Why are you coming now?
785
01:00:58.160 --> 01:01:00.410
I'm going to die of hunger.
786
01:01:00.410 --> 01:01:01.980
<i>One, two, three.</i>
787
01:01:01.980 --> 01:01:08.300
♫ Happy Birthday. Happy Birthday.♫
788
01:01:08.300 --> 01:01:11.950
♫ To the one we love, our Bo Ra. ♫
789
01:01:11.950 --> 01:01:15.590
♫ Happy Birthday. ♫
790
01:01:15.590 --> 01:01:18.820
Hurry and blow.
791
01:01:21.760 --> 01:01:23.920
I'll eat well.
792
01:01:24.530 --> 01:01:27.490
No, wait a moment.
793
01:01:28.460 --> 01:01:31.990
Like this. Now take out three.
794
01:01:33.720 --> 01:01:36.000
Wait a bit.
795
01:01:39.090 --> 01:01:40.280
Here.
796
01:01:40.280 --> 01:01:41.630
Light the candles.
797
01:01:41.630 --> 01:01:44.470
Put them in. Finished.
798
01:01:44.470 --> 01:01:48.740
Now, now. Now it's our second daughter's birthday party.
799
01:01:48.740 --> 01:01:51.000
Now, one, two, three!
800
01:01:51.000 --> 01:01:54.100
- Happy—
- Are you guys serious?!?
801
01:01:54.100 --> 01:01:58.840
I told you that I didn't want to do it with Unni! I told you!
802
01:01:58.840 --> 01:02:01.350
Why do you never listen to me?
803
01:02:01.350 --> 01:02:06.170
I told you, Mom and Dad, that I didn't want to do a birthday party with Unni!
804
01:02:06.170 --> 01:02:08.730
Let's do it this year and I'll do it separately next year.
805
01:02:08.730 --> 01:02:11.370
You said that last year and the year before last!
806
01:02:11.370 --> 01:02:14.700
Why do you do that to me? Do I seem like a pushover?
807
01:02:14.700 --> 01:02:17.930
Am I a person you can treat however you want to?
808
01:02:20.660 --> 01:02:23.810
How come I am the only one you don't make fried eggs for?
809
01:02:23.810 --> 01:02:26.760
I really like fried eggs.
810
01:02:26.760 --> 01:02:31.110
You only give me soy sauce beans. I don't like soy sauce beans, either!
811
01:02:31.110 --> 01:02:35.110
And, why do you only buy No Eul World Cup Cone ice cream?
812
01:02:36.220 --> 01:02:40.570
Even the fried chicken! Ahjussi gave it for only me to eat.
813
01:02:40.570 --> 01:02:45.130
But you only give the drumsticks to Unni and No Eul and give me the wings.
814
01:02:45.130 --> 01:02:47.780
I know how to eat drumsticks, too!
815
01:02:48.440 --> 01:02:50.490
Deok Seon...
816
01:02:50.490 --> 01:02:54.510
And why am I Deok Seon! (old-fashioned name)
817
01:02:55.620 --> 01:02:58.320
I asked why am I only Deok Seon!
818
01:02:58.320 --> 01:03:02.500
Unni is Bo Ra and he is No Eul, but why am I only Deok Seon? (<i>Bo Ra and No Eul are more modern, sophisticated names.</i>)
819
01:03:02.500 --> 01:03:05.440
I said why is my name Deok Seon?!
820
01:03:08.630 --> 01:03:11.190
<i>With only three days left until the Olympics, North Korea, Cuba, Albania,</i>
821
01:03:11.190 --> 01:03:14.570
Why is she like that?
<i>Seychelles, Ethiopia, and Madagascar</i>
822
01:03:14.570 --> 01:03:19.880
<i>because of political issues with Korea, decided to not attend.</i>
823
01:03:19.880 --> 01:03:21.900
<i>But the 1988 Olympics</i>
824
01:03:21.900 --> 01:03:27.170
<i>will still be attended by 160 out of the 167 IOC member countries...</i>
825
01:03:28.560 --> 01:03:32.310
<i>Once again, there wasn't anything particularly special about that day.</i>
826
01:03:32.310 --> 01:03:35.640
<i>The disappointment of being a second daughter was a constant.</i>
827
01:03:38.130 --> 01:03:40.850
<i>Just like all the second children in the world,</i>
828
01:03:40.850 --> 01:03:44.650
<i>because an elder sister was the oldest and a younger sibling was the youngest, that was why.</i>
829
01:03:44.650 --> 01:03:47.460
<i>So we always had to sacrifice.</i>
830
01:03:49.240 --> 01:03:51.700
<i>Still, I thought that, at least</i>
831
01:03:51.700 --> 01:03:58.260
<i>my mom and dad would appreciate my sacrificial mindset. But they didn't.</i>
832
01:03:58.260 --> 01:04:03.540
♫ <i>You bury it deep inside your heart ♫</i>
(BGM: Deulgukhwa - Don't Worry, Dear)
833
01:04:03.540 --> 01:04:08.810
<i>Actually, your family might be the last to know.</i>
834
01:04:08.810 --> 01:04:15.610
♫ <i>The past is the past ♫</i>
835
01:04:15.610 --> 01:04:20.560
♫ <i>There is meaning in that.</i> ♫
836
01:04:22.850 --> 01:04:28.650
♫ <i>To those who have left, let's sing together ♫</i>
837
01:04:28.650 --> 01:04:31.390
Mom, what are you doing here?
838
01:04:35.910 --> 01:04:38.400
Mom, is something wrong?
839
01:04:47.710 --> 01:04:49.540
What is it?
840
01:04:51.350 --> 01:04:53.030
Do you smoke?
841
01:04:53.030 --> 01:04:54.170
What?
842
01:04:54.170 --> 01:04:55.510
You smoke cigarettes, right?
843
01:04:55.510 --> 01:04:58.440
No. What are you talking about?
844
01:04:59.510 --> 01:05:02.940
Since when did you start smoking. Tell me truthfully.
845
01:05:02.940 --> 01:05:06.070
No. This isn't mine!
846
01:05:06.070 --> 01:05:12.400
What do you do these days? You do weird things, right?
847
01:05:12.400 --> 01:05:15.330
It's not mine!
848
01:05:17.220 --> 01:05:23.190
Do you know how I raised you?
849
01:05:23.190 --> 01:05:28.040
Do you really want to see me die?
850
01:05:28.040 --> 01:05:32.850
You hang out with bad kids and smoke. Why are you like this these days?
851
01:05:32.850 --> 01:05:37.740
When did I? Why are you like this suddenly? I said that it's not mine!
852
01:05:39.780 --> 01:05:44.330
Then what's this on your face? What happened to your face?
853
01:05:44.330 --> 01:05:47.690
Did you fight with someone? Did someone hit you?
854
01:05:48.930 --> 01:05:51.590
Are you really not going to tell me?
855
01:05:52.180 --> 01:05:56.250
Are... you being like this because you have no dad?
856
01:05:56.250 --> 01:05:58.150
I'm just your mom, so you don't care what I say?
857
01:05:58.150 --> 01:06:00.270
Mom!
858
01:06:04.460 --> 01:06:06.650
M-Mom, this
859
01:06:08.270 --> 01:06:11.480
happened while shaving.
860
01:06:17.660 --> 01:06:20.370
I cut myself while shaving.
861
01:06:38.800 --> 01:06:41.920
Oh, Mom...
862
01:06:41.920 --> 01:06:45.700
Why is our mom like this again?
863
01:06:46.470 --> 01:06:50.910
Really, why is our mom like this?
864
01:06:50.910 --> 01:06:54.000
Mom, Mom. Mom, Mom.
865
01:06:54.000 --> 01:06:57.320
Mom, I'm fine.
866
01:06:57.320 --> 01:07:02.100
My friends said that this happens at first, to everyone. It's not because of Dad.
867
01:07:04.600 --> 01:07:07.860
Mom. Mom...
868
01:07:09.060 --> 01:07:14.110
Mom. Why are you like this again? You're hurting your son's heart...
869
01:07:14.110 --> 01:07:18.010
- My child.
- Mom, I'm sorry.
870
01:07:18.010 --> 01:07:19.960
Mom, I'm sorry.
871
01:07:20.740 --> 01:07:24.290
Mom, I'm sorry for yelling at you.
872
01:07:24.290 --> 01:07:25.920
Mom.
873
01:07:25.920 --> 01:07:28.970
Mom, sorry.
874
01:07:58.000 --> 01:08:04.190
♫ <i> Will it leave someday, this green youth? </i>♫
(BGM: Sanullim - Youth)
<i>Makgeolli ( rice wine)</i>
875
01:08:04.190 --> 01:08:08.840
Jin Joo, be careful. I went all the way to the bus stop to buy this.
876
01:08:08.840 --> 01:08:12.260
♫ <i>In an empty gesture when I am saddened</i> ♫
877
01:08:12.260 --> 01:08:19.530
♫ <i>is it better to turn away and let it go?</i> ♫
878
01:08:19.530 --> 01:08:25.870
♫ <i>That's how time passes. ♫</i>
879
01:08:27.100 --> 01:08:33.900
Jin Joo, come here. Let's greet our father.
♫ <i>Although I can forgive a love who leaves me</i> ♫
880
01:08:33.940 --> 01:08:41.110
♫ <i>It is time which is leaving and abandoning me</i> ♫
881
01:08:41.110 --> 01:08:48.340
♫ <i>My heart which is empty without the places to which it was once attached</i> ♫
882
01:08:48.340 --> 01:08:53.950
♫ <i>is searching for the old friendships.</i> ♫
883
01:08:53.950 --> 01:08:59.580
<i>September 17, 1988 24th 1988 Olympic D-Day</i>
(BGM: Koreana - Hand in Hand)
884
01:08:59.600 --> 01:09:06.800
<i>It is a historical moment. Finally the curtain has risen on the 24th Seoul Olympic Games.</i>
885
01:09:06.800 --> 01:09:12.420
<i>The beautiful symbol of the Olympics, the five rings, is now being transformed into the Seoul Olympics emblem.</i>
886
01:09:12.420 --> 01:09:16.070
<i>It is a combination of beautiful colors.</i>
887
01:09:16.070 --> 01:09:20.570
<i>It is made by 1,100 of students from Seoul Girls' Commercial High and Dongdaemun Commercial High .</i>
888
01:09:20.570 --> 01:09:24.500
Dad, there's not even a single mouse in the street.
889
01:09:24.500 --> 01:09:26.720
Why are you drinking alcohol in the daytime already?
890
01:09:26.720 --> 01:09:29.330
Come on, how you can leave out alcohol on a day like this?
891
01:09:29.330 --> 01:09:34.120
Not to mention that our daughter is going to be in the Olympics, passing down the ideal of Baron de Coubertin!
892
01:09:34.120 --> 01:09:35.660
What about Big Noona?
893
01:09:35.660 --> 01:09:37.970
Bo Ra, hurry up and come out. It's starting!
894
01:09:37.970 --> 01:09:38.980
I'm not going to watch!
895
01:09:38.980 --> 01:09:42.080
If you don't see, it's your loss, crazy girl.
896
01:09:42.080 --> 01:09:44.130
The athletes are entering!
897
01:09:46.570 --> 01:09:48.390
<i>1988 Olympic Seong Deok Sun Entry Footage</i>
898
01:09:48.390 --> 01:09:50.940
Yeah, I understand. I'll start recording it now.
899
01:09:50.940 --> 01:09:52.750
Honey.
900
01:10:01.650 --> 01:10:07.590
Didn't you say that Deok Seon isn't coming out? I heard that Mada-whatever isn't coming.
901
01:10:08.500 --> 01:10:12.160
She must have gone and thrown a fit.
902
01:10:12.160 --> 01:10:15.860
- Isn't it awesome, Mom?
- Isn't it? Yeah, it's awesome.
903
01:10:15.860 --> 01:10:19.210
So Deok Seon is filling-in for someone who got fired for demerits?
904
01:10:19.210 --> 01:10:21.950
Wow, Deok Seon really has good luck.
905
01:10:21.950 --> 01:10:23.760
She has great luck.
906
01:10:23.760 --> 01:10:28.850
It's not luck. Deok Seon worked hard. So they took her because they saw her hard work.
907
01:10:28.850 --> 01:10:30.740
She said that she was never tardy.
908
01:10:30.740 --> 01:10:35.780
Yeah. If she studied with that heart, she probably would have become first place in class.
909
01:10:35.780 --> 01:10:39.550
Hey, so which country is she doing it for?
910
01:10:41.780 --> 01:10:45.080
Son, so which country is Deok Seon doing?
911
01:10:46.040 --> 01:10:48.230
You'll see when you watch.
912
01:10:52.010 --> 01:10:58.300
Since it's alphabetically arranged,
913
01:10:58.300 --> 01:11:00.760
It's already the Soviet Union?
914
01:11:00.760 --> 01:11:02.460
She'll probably come out soon.
915
01:11:02.460 --> 01:11:04.370
<i>This is the team from the Soviet Union.</i>
916
01:11:04.370 --> 01:11:08.030
<i>They have five hundred eighteen athletes.</i>
917
01:11:08.030 --> 01:11:09.810
<i>Not long ago our country...</i>
918
01:11:09.810 --> 01:11:13.990
Bo Ra, hurry up and come out! Deok Seon will come out soon!
919
01:11:13.990 --> 01:11:15.490
I said that I'm not going to watch!
920
01:11:22.680 --> 01:11:25.010
... <i> it's been announced that he is waiting ... (Referring to the torch-bearer)</i>
921
01:11:25.010 --> 01:11:29.430
<i>- Jordan.
- Now it is the team from Jordan.</i>
922
01:11:29.430 --> 01:11:31.430
<i>Jordan is located in the Middle East...</i>
923
01:11:31.430 --> 01:11:35.460
It's next, Dad. It's after Jordan.
924
01:11:37.590 --> 01:11:39.300
Now she's coming out!
925
01:11:39.300 --> 01:11:42.390
<i>Taekwondo will be an exhibition sport at the Olympics for the first time in history.</i>
926
01:11:42.390 --> 01:11:44.930
<i>Uganda.</i>
927
01:11:44.930 --> 01:11:49.590
She came out! She came out! She came out!
928
01:11:49.590 --> 01:11:58.200
She came out! Seong Deok Seon, Seong Deok Seon! My noona! My noona!
929
01:11:58.200 --> 01:12:00.050
Mother!
930
01:12:03.700 --> 01:12:05.610
- She really came out!
- She's so pretty!
931
01:12:05.610 --> 01:12:08.480
How can she look so pretty?
932
01:12:08.480 --> 01:12:10.580
- Wow!
- Hey, Deok Seon!
933
01:12:10.580 --> 01:12:15.750
Aigoo! President Seong! It's nice to see you. Nice to meet you! All together!
934
01:12:26.840 --> 01:12:29.170
Uganda! Ugan--
935
01:12:29.170 --> 01:12:32.500
Dad, what is this country's capital?
936
01:12:32.500 --> 01:12:35.800
Do you know the capital of Uganda? Farming and cattle herding...
937
01:12:35.800 --> 01:12:39.780
That's right. It's Deok Seon.
938
01:12:39.780 --> 01:12:45.670
Aigoo, it's nothing great... What are you saying? Of course she's successful. Her face is shown all over the world.
939
01:12:45.670 --> 01:12:49.000
Seven to one. She beat that.
940
01:12:49.000 --> 01:12:52.830
She was so ugly when she was little so I wondered if she'd ever get married. But as she got older
941
01:12:52.830 --> 01:12:55.750
she really blossomed. She's better than her older sister.
942
01:12:57.860 --> 01:13:00.960
<i>The torch bearer is entering.</i>
943
01:13:00.960 --> 01:13:05.390
<i>Sohn Kee Chung is carrying the torch. (First medal-winning Korean Olympian, gold medalist in the 1936 Berlin Olympics)</i>
944
01:13:06.170 --> 01:13:09.380
<i>The torch is passed to Lim Choon Ae.</i>
945
01:13:09.380 --> 01:13:13.780
<i>The former star athlete Sohn Kee Chung and the current star Lim Choon Ae...</i>
946
01:13:13.780 --> 01:13:15.890
Lim Choon Ae. I'll knew that it would be her.
947
01:13:15.890 --> 01:13:20.780
<i>Everyone's heart is ablaze like fireworks...</i>
948
01:13:20.780 --> 01:13:24.060
Where did Lim Choon Ae win a medal from?
949
01:13:25.870 --> 01:13:29.320
In 1986, during the 10th Asian Games,
950
01:13:29.320 --> 01:13:33.060
She won the women's 800, 1,500, and 3,000 meter events in track and field.
951
01:13:33.060 --> 01:13:38.040
She is the first Korean woman to win a medal at the Asian Games, and the first athlete to win all three. She was nicknamed Ramyun Girl
952
01:13:38.040 --> 01:13:42.010
Since she had no rice at home, she only ate ramyun. She became a star.
953
01:13:42.010 --> 01:13:48.500
But it turns out that she also ate herbal medicine with her ramyun.
954
01:13:49.850 --> 01:13:52.340
It happened two years ago.
955
01:13:55.880 --> 01:13:59.270
Right, Hyung, call me when they're playing soccer.
956
01:13:59.270 --> 01:14:01.240
Okay.
957
01:14:19.420 --> 01:14:21.580
What are you doing?
958
01:14:21.580 --> 01:14:23.790
Studying.
959
01:14:23.790 --> 01:14:26.050
Okay.
960
01:14:26.050 --> 01:14:30.250
- Why?
- Nothing...
961
01:14:37.950 --> 01:14:41.090
- Jeong Hwan.
- Yes?
962
01:14:41.090 --> 01:14:43.750
Don't you have nothing to say to me?
963
01:14:44.960 --> 01:14:47.220
I don't.
964
01:14:53.930 --> 01:14:56.050
I heard that you took a test.
965
01:14:56.050 --> 01:14:58.850
Ah, yes. I did.
966
01:14:58.850 --> 01:15:02.320
- Did you do well?
- Yes.
967
01:15:11.210 --> 01:15:14.210
Ah, yes. I got first place.
968
01:15:19.470 --> 01:15:22.230
Then, why didn't you tell me?
969
01:15:22.230 --> 01:15:26.130
It's not like it gets counted into the grades.
970
01:15:27.700 --> 01:15:30.570
I want to know everything.
971
01:15:35.800 --> 01:15:38.410
Please tell me these things, too.
972
01:15:41.640 --> 01:15:45.520
Do you know how much I envy Seon Woo's mom?
973
01:15:45.520 --> 01:15:47.710
She says that Seon Woo tells her everything.
974
01:15:50.900 --> 01:15:56.290
Though it's not everything, you think about it and pick a few things
975
01:15:56.290 --> 01:15:57.900
to tell me about.
976
01:16:00.090 --> 01:16:04.740
It's because I'm embarrassed when I'm with the ahjummas.
977
01:16:09.880 --> 01:16:11.870
Understand?
978
01:16:13.140 --> 01:16:16.440
- Answer me.
- I understand.
979
01:16:16.440 --> 01:16:20.380
♫ <i>The past is the past.</i> ♫
(BGM: Lee Juck - Don't Worry, Dear)
980
01:16:20.380 --> 01:16:22.730
Study.
981
01:16:22.730 --> 01:16:28.980
♫ <i>There is such a meaning</i> ♫
982
01:16:28.980 --> 01:16:33.920
♫ <i>To those who have left, let's sing together </i> ♫
983
01:16:33.920 --> 01:16:36.140
- Mom.
- Yeah.
984
01:16:38.100 --> 01:16:41.600
- I...
♫ <i>Tell them that you love them </i>♫
985
01:16:41.650 --> 01:16:43.990
Buy me some sneakers.
986
01:16:46.700 --> 01:16:48.890
I lost them.
987
01:16:48.890 --> 01:16:54.210
♫ <i>The past is the past </i>♫
988
01:16:54.210 --> 01:16:58.100
<i>- Son! Do you want to go together to buy sneakers today?
♫ There is such meaning ♫</i>
989
01:16:58.100 --> 01:17:03.110
<i>- No, just give me the money.
- Okay, I understand.</i>
990
01:17:06.700 --> 01:17:11.400
Hey, Jeong Hwan used to do nothing but play soccer every day. How did he become such a good student?
991
01:17:11.400 --> 01:17:14.240
- It's because he only plays soccer.
- And he doesn't smoke?
992
01:17:14.240 --> 01:17:16.670
Of course. He's different from how he looks.
993
01:17:16.670 --> 01:17:19.160
I thought those cigarettes were Jeong Hwan's if they weren't yours.
994
01:17:19.160 --> 01:17:21.540
No, Mom. Jeong Hwan doesn't smoke.
995
01:17:21.540 --> 01:17:25.750
Really? Then whose are those?
996
01:17:25.750 --> 01:17:28.120
Yeah. Whose are they?
997
01:17:28.120 --> 01:17:33.380
- But why did he need the student fee?
- I don't know. He didn't tell me.
998
01:18:01.160 --> 01:18:03.710
Who is it? There's no one to visit.
999
01:18:06.260 --> 01:18:09.260
Who is it?
1000
01:18:09.260 --> 01:18:11.570
Oh, Uncle! Why are you here?
1001
01:18:11.570 --> 01:18:14.520
Seon Woo, you need to to go the bath house with Uncle (<i>honorific used was for mother's brother</i>)
1002
01:18:14.520 --> 01:18:16.540
- Hurry.
- What?
1003
01:18:16.540 --> 01:18:20.020
Hey, wash well from head to toe, okay.
1004
01:18:20.020 --> 01:18:23.450
- Noona, money.
- I had a bath yesterday.
1005
01:18:23.450 --> 01:18:28.080
I pooped yesterday. If I pooped yesterday, do I not poop today, kid?
1006
01:18:28.080 --> 01:18:33.550
Stop talking about poop all the time and marry a woman already.
1007
01:18:33.550 --> 01:18:39.640
Tae Soo, take the child, and wash every corner and teach him well about this.
1008
01:18:39.640 --> 01:18:45.550
I understand, I understand. Did you pack the razor?
1009
01:18:47.080 --> 01:18:51.050
- Go, go now.
- Let's go. You have to go to the bathhouse with Uncle.
1010
01:18:51.050 --> 01:18:55.510
- Why do you pull his ears?
- I'm going, I'm going!
1011
01:19:06.770 --> 01:19:11.930
<i>Dooly Supermarket Chain</i>
1012
01:19:20.560 --> 01:19:22.680
How is it, Dad?
1013
01:19:25.140 --> 01:19:29.930
- Where did you get that?
- I got it from an athlete from Uganda. Isn't it cool?
1014
01:19:32.200 --> 01:19:38.200
This is a fan I got from a Korean athlete. A hat from an athlete from Equatorial Guinea.
1015
01:19:38.230 --> 01:19:43.010
An umbrella I got from an athlete from Netherlands. And also...
1016
01:19:43.890 --> 01:19:48.200
And what is that?
1017
01:19:48.200 --> 01:19:51.480
A poor dove. I'm going to bury it.
1018
01:19:51.480 --> 01:19:55.400
There's also a burnt one.
<i> (When the Olympic flame was lit, doves symbolizing peace were released and burned!)</i>
1019
01:19:55.430 --> 01:19:57.520
I picked it up from under the Olympic Flame Platform.
1020
01:19:57.520 --> 01:20:00.220
Oh my. Okay, okay so put it away.
1021
01:20:00.220 --> 01:20:02.770
Okay.
1022
01:20:08.160 --> 01:20:12.480
Our Deok Seon is so kind. Such an angel.
1023
01:20:17.110 --> 01:20:23.260
Deok Seon, I also have something to give you.
1024
01:20:23.260 --> 01:20:25.310
What?
1025
01:20:25.310 --> 01:20:27.570
Wait here.
1026
01:20:36.230 --> 01:20:39.110
Ta-da!
1027
01:20:40.490 --> 01:20:43.280
Happy Birthday, my Deok Seon.
1028
01:20:44.590 --> 01:20:50.880
Oh my! There are already 18 candles. When did my daughter grow so big?
1029
01:20:56.410 --> 01:21:00.740
Dad and Mom are sorry.
1030
01:21:02.720 --> 01:21:05.150
It's because we didn't know any better.
1031
01:21:07.320 --> 01:21:15.650
When the first child was born, we worried about how to teach her. For the second child, we worried about raising her.
1032
01:21:15.650 --> 01:21:20.100
For the youngest, we worried about how to make him into a decent person.
(BGM: Cho Yong Pil - I Wish It Were So Now)
1033
01:21:20.100 --> 01:21:23.600
<i>(BGM: Cho Yong Pil - I Wish It Were So Now)</i>
1034
01:21:23.600 --> 01:21:29.240
This dad of yours was not a dad when he was born.
1035
01:21:29.240 --> 01:21:32.400
It's also my first time being a dad.
1036
01:21:33.080 --> 01:21:38.510
So that's why, my daughter, please cut us some slack.
1037
01:21:40.200 --> 01:21:45.450
Our daughter grew up to be so pretty.
1038
01:21:47.180 --> 01:21:51.940
When did you turn into such a pretty young lady?
1039
01:21:51.940 --> 01:21:56.990
Even coming on TV and putting on make up.
1040
01:22:00.900 --> 01:22:05.570
In any case, when my Deok Seon gets married
1041
01:22:05.570 --> 01:22:08.690
Dad will be so sad. How will I live?
1042
01:22:09.920 --> 01:22:13.720
- I am not getting married.
- Don't say such things.
1043
01:22:14.690 --> 01:22:20.870
Here. Let's light the candles and sing a birthday song.
1044
01:22:24.000 --> 01:22:26.150
It's pretty.
1045
01:22:29.500 --> 01:22:33.410
Deok Seon, happy birthday.
1046
01:22:40.320 --> 01:22:44.570
- Dad, have some too.
- No, I don't like greasy food.
1047
01:22:47.910 --> 01:22:53.230
<i>Perhaps you family may know the least about your pain.</i>
1048
01:22:53.230 --> 01:22:57.040
<i>But what's so important about what we know?</i>
1049
01:22:57.040 --> 01:23:02.870
<i>In the end, the thing that helps us break down the walls between us, is not the head that thinks</i>
1050
01:23:02.870 --> 01:23:08.330
<i>but in the end, it is the heart that holds us hand-in-hand without letting go.</i>
1051
01:23:10.660 --> 01:23:13.220
<i>In the end it is family.</i>
1052
01:23:16.610 --> 01:23:25.050
<i>Even a hero, even if it's an even greater hero. In the end the ones we go back to in that last moment are family.</i>
1053
01:23:27.620 --> 01:23:30.890
<i>The scars we receive from the outside world,</i>
1054
01:23:34.030 --> 01:23:37.380
<i>the scars we receive from life experiences,</i>
1055
01:23:37.380 --> 01:23:39.800
<i>Why is my name Deok Seon!</i>
1056
01:23:39.800 --> 01:23:47.110
<i>even the scars that we receive from family... The people who will embrace you and be on your side until the end...</i>
1057
01:23:47.110 --> 01:23:50.570
<i>In the end, it is family.</i>
1058
01:23:57.530 --> 01:24:04.890
<i>And also— No, despite that, history repeats itself.
[One Month Later]</i>
1059
01:24:21.960 --> 01:24:24.740
Oh, my head.
1060
01:24:26.830 --> 01:24:30.830
My head. My head.
1061
01:24:37.220 --> 01:24:42.500
Oh no. Is it the gas?
1062
01:24:44.150 --> 01:24:49.890
Honey. Honey, wake up! Hey, No Eul! Hey!
1063
01:24:49.890 --> 01:24:55.010
Coal briquet gas! Wake up! No Eul, you punk, come to your senses!
1064
01:24:55.010 --> 01:24:58.790
Aigoo! Hey, hey! (<i>Many Korean people died from carbon monoxide gas poisoning from coal briquets.</i>)
1065
01:24:58.790 --> 01:25:01.070
Hold on to her. She's acting strange now.
1066
01:25:01.070 --> 01:25:06.010
Hey, hey! Are you alright?
1067
01:25:06.010 --> 01:25:09.820
- Bo Ra? Are you alright?
- My head hurts.
1068
01:25:11.370 --> 01:25:13.770
My head.
1069
01:26:00.510 --> 01:26:04.790
<i>November 2015</i>
1070
01:26:06.170 --> 01:26:10.180
What was the question again?
1071
01:26:10.180 --> 01:26:14.070
When did we first meet? I'm sorry.
1072
01:26:14.070 --> 01:26:18.370
When I was young I inhaled so much coal gas.
1073
01:26:19.830 --> 01:26:25.220
It's been decades since we first met. We grew up in the same alley.
1074
01:26:25.220 --> 01:26:29.850
I didn't know I'd marry him, not even in my dreams.
1075
01:26:29.850 --> 01:26:36.650
I must have not been in my right mind. I was crazy.
1076
01:26:36.650 --> 01:26:42.800
Truthfully, I inhaled the most coal gas in Ssangmun-dong.
1077
01:26:42.800 --> 01:26:48.420
For a very long time. About 20 years?
1078
01:26:48.420 --> 01:26:53.500
I think I was not in my right mind because of that.
1079
01:26:53.500 --> 01:27:01.070
My husband is lucky. How else could he get such a beautiful wife?
1080
01:27:03.400 --> 01:27:08.370
<i>Mom, Deok Seon has a crush on someone!</i>
1081
01:27:12.820 --> 01:27:15.850
<i>- This is a new jacket. How do you like it?
- I'm late. Get lost.</i>
♫ <i> I will love </i> ♫
1082
01:27:15.850 --> 01:27:18.120
<i>To go eat spicy rice cakes!</i>
(BGM: Lee Tzsche - I Will Love)
1083
01:27:18.120 --> 01:27:20.690
<i>Don't you think Deok Seon became a little bit cuter?</i>
1084
01:27:20.690 --> 01:27:23.130
<i>Yeah, a little bit.</i>
1085
01:27:23.130 --> 01:27:24.760
<i>Yeah.</i>
1086
01:27:24.760 --> 01:27:28.120
<i> My first love looks like you darn it.</i>
1087
01:27:30.690 --> 01:27:33.690
<i> Take it out, you bastard. Take it out.</i>
(BGM: Lee Moon Sae - Girl)
1088
01:27:35.700 --> 01:27:37.990
<i> You frustrating bastard.</i>
1089
01:27:37.990 --> 01:27:45.070
♫ <i>you are crying from loneliness</i> ♫
1090
01:27:45.070 --> 01:27:52.560
♫ <i>I will always stay by your side</i> ♫
1091
01:27:52.560 --> 01:28:02.380
♫ <i>I won't leave</i> ♫