June 18, 2023

Why I Loved Watching “The Glory” Kdrama and What It Taught Me

Edit Posted by with No comments
Why I Loved Watching “The Glory” Kdrama and What It Taught Me

Hey guys! Have you seen "Glory" Kdrama on Netflix that many people are talking about? If you haven't, you are missing out on one of the best revenge dramas (where the leads are smart in their revenge process). It's written by Kim Eun-sook, and the cast of "The Glory" includes Song Hye-kyo, Do-hyun, Lim Ji-Yeon, Yeom Hye-ran, Park Sung-hoon, and Jung Sung-il, who are in a thrilling story of school violence, revenge, and redemption (?).

Why I liked it

Why I Loved Watching “The Glory” Kdrama and What It Taught Me
The drama is about Dong-eun (Song Hye-Kyo), a former victim of brutal bullying who becomes a homeroom teacher at the elementary school of her main bully's child. She then executes a meticulous plan to make her tormentors pay for what they did to her in the past. Along the way, she meets Joo Yeo-Jeong (Lee Do-Hyun), a plastic surgeon who teaches her Go and falls in love with her.

"The Glory" Kdrama is not your typical Korean show that focuses on romance or comedy. It's a dark and intense thriller that exposes the harsh reality of school violence and its lasting effects on the victims and perpetrators. It also raises questions about justice, forgiveness, and healing.

I loved watching this drama (liked "The Glory" season 2 more) because it made me think, feel, and reflect on my own life and choices. It also made me appreciate the people who love me and stand by me no matter what. This series may stay with me long after it ends.

Lessons I learned from watching "The Glory" Kdrama

1. Bullying is not a joke

Why I Loved Watching “The Glory” Kdrama and What It Taught Me
Why I Loved Watching “The Glory” Kdrama and What It Taught Me
Why I Loved Watching “The Glory” Kdrama and What It Taught Me
It can cause serious physical and psychological harm to the victims and their families and friends. Moreover, it's highly likely to affect their future prospects and relationships. We should never tolerate or ignore bullying. Stop or report it as soon as possible.

In "The Glory", Dong-eun suffered from severe injuries, nightmares, depression, and social anxiety due to the bullying. She also had to give up her dream of becoming an architect and live in hiding for years. As she said in some episodes, 

I was so scared that I couldn't even breathe.

Because they’re staying warm, they don’t realize how cold it is outside. Life is just calm and happy for them.

This shows genuinely shows how bullying can destroy someone's life and dreams.

Why I Loved Watching “The Glory” Kdrama and What It Taught Me

2. Revenge may not be the answer

While it may seem satisfying to get back at those who hurt you, revenge can also consume you and make you lose your humanity. Besides, it may hurt innocent people who are caught in the crossfire. Revenge can breed more hatred and violence. It probably doesn't heal your wounds or bring you peace. THAT SAID, remember one saying by Rachel Simmons, "Hurt me once, shame on you; Hurt me twice, shame on me."

In "The Glory", Yeo-jeong said, "Once your revenge is over, your world will also be in ruins." In response, Dong-eun told, “I’m already in complete ruins with no dignity left. So, go back. I’d like to stay faithful to my rage and vice.” She also had a meaty and juicy dialogue, "You need to get punished. Criminal punishment if God's on your side, and divine punishment if God's on my side." that simply captures the proverbial, "What goes around comes around"

3. Forgiveness is not easy

It takes courage and strength to forgive those who wronged you, especially if they show no remorse or apology. Forgiveness does not mean forgetting or condoning what they did. It means letting go of your anger and resentment and moving on with your life. Forgiveness is not for them but FOR YOURSELF. 

Here, I agreed with Dong-eun when she said, 

Among the things that victims have lost, how many things do you think they can reclaim? It’s just their own glory and honor. Nothing more. Some regain those things through forgiveness, while others regain them through revenge. Only then can they reach the starting point.

4. Healing is possible

However broken or traumatized you are, there is always hope for healing. You are not alone in your pain. Some people care about you and support you. While healing is a process that takes time and effort, it is worth it. 

In "The Glory" Netflix, Dong-eun finds healing through Yeo-jeong's love, Hyeon-nam's friendship, and her own resilience. She indeed gets immense support from Yeo-Jeong, "I’ll do whatever you say like it’s a royal command. Anything at all. I’ll show you a wild sword dance.”, which is his response to her saying, "I’m not looking for a prince. What I need is not a prince, but a headsman who will join me in the sword dance.”

5. Love is powerful

Why I Loved Watching “The Glory” Kdrama and What It Taught Me
Love can overcome fear and hatred. 

Love can inspire change and growth. 

Love can heal wounds and mend hearts. 

Love can give you strength and courage to face your challenges and pursue your dreams. 

Love can make you happy and fulfilled

Throughout "The Glory" episodes, Dong-eun's love for Yeo-jeong helped her overcome her fear of trust. Yeo-jeong's love for her helped him grow as a person and find peace of mind. As he showed how understanding and soft he is towards her:

“I’ve also hit rock bottom before, so I understand the weight of your anger.” 

- Dong-Eun: “Ugly, right? My scars.” 

- Yeo-Jeong: “They’re injuries.” 

- Yeo-Jeong: “A battle fought fiercely, in silence.”

- Dong-Eun: “I like that.” 

You may also be interested in"The Glory" Quotes (Season 1-2): I’m Not Good Yet. I’ll Blossom One Spring

I hope this helps you enjoy "The Glory" Kdrama more. 😊 If you have watched it, what lessons have you learned from it? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment