March 23, 2024

I carry an invisible pressure called “The sacrifice of my parents”…

Edit Posted by with No comments

I carry an invisible pressure called “The sacrifice of my parents”… 

Our family isn’t wealthy, but I’ve never had to endure hardship, not even for a day. Whatever I wanted to eat, my parents were ready to buy it for me. Whatever extra classes I needed, they were willing to invest. Any additional supplies I needed for my studies, they didn't hesitate to purchase immediately. Our home relied on the modest income of my mother (my father was unemployed and took care of the house).

During meals, my parents always give me the larger portion. My mother cooks me nourishing, expensive dishes, yet she eats simple, plain food. When I got a tooth pulled or a haircut, my father always took me out for a treat (while he just watched me eat). My father has worn the same two outfits for decades, never buying new ones, yet he doesn’t think twice about buying things for me.

I carry an invisible pressure called “The sacrifice of my parents”…
"Reply 1988" drama

Without a single scolding or coercion, they still manage to make me worry. The sacrifices and love of my parents have become an invisible pressure for me. As I witness my parents age each day, growing more frail and lined with time's passage, and I, no longer a child but surpassing them in height and strength, I am compelled to immerse myself in my work. I fear disappointing them if my academic results are poor or if I’m unstable in my career. I dread being ungrateful for their efforts if I, a grown adult, can’t give them much money. I always believe that excelling in school and earning a lot of money is the greatest filial piety I can offer my parents. 

I carry an invisible pressure called “The sacrifice of my parents”…
I really regret not being there for my mom when she was going through menopause. I didn't know about it and was too busy with work, which only made things harder for her. Now, I see how wrong that was, especially because she always worried so much about me whenever I got sick. (Image: "Reply 1988" drama)

It seems that living at ease has become the greatest sin of my life.

And you, do you carry any invisible pressures? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment